White noise and Tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member
Following a recent hearing test, carried out annually on behalf of my employer, the audiometrist again noted a dip in response around the 4kHz range and asked if I had any hearing related problems.

I'd already mentioned in the past that, sometimes, I get a ringing in the ears (Tinnitus) when in a very quiet setting and when going to sleep. The ringing also appears to be around the 4kHz range...

He suggested that as the problem is only occasional and unless it got any worse, where further help should be sought, a bit of background noise could help.

After doing some research and making sure I had the necessary bits & bobs, I have built the circuit in the link below:
Mind Performance Projects for the ... - Google Books

Instead of the 2N3904, which was a little quiet, I have used a C550C transistor and also added a 100µF electrolytic across the supply pins, to smooth out the noise from my cheapo Maplin bench PSU, powering the circuit on a breadboard.

The white noise seems to be the same as the clips you can listen to online and looks similar on a 'scope. I have yet to make the circuit properly and try it out when needs arise though.

During my research there were a few ETO threads which cropped up, in which ericgibbs, Hero999, sceadwian, microtexan and mikebits also mentioned Tinnitus problems.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had any success with your own white noise sources..

I don't have any experience with white noise generators, but I've tested a ridiculous toy software called "audio doses". The creators state that their recordings "stimulate" the electrical frecuencies on the brain, causing body relaxation. The thing sounded like pink noise, silence, and lots of interference

Of course, It didn't worked. They argumented that their "magic formula" doesn't work with my personal headphones - I should buy a new set from them, at a reasonable price

Obviously I sent the whole idea to hell.

The conclusions are:

1) Maybe you will need some kind of speaker set around your bed, because a single speaker may have the same annoying effect as a mosquito!

2) Make sure that the noise comming from the generator is still white noise after comming out from the speaker (take in account speaker's frequency response, etc.)

PS: Well, I know that depends on the personal taste, but I hate white noise when going to sleep. I would prefer the sound of the rain hitting the roof, or an air fan at low RPM's.

Last edited:
I would prefer the sound of the rain hitting the roof, or an air fan at low RPM's.

I lived abroad (Bermuda) for many years and each house has a water storage tank, catching rainfall.

The last place I had, channelled the water via a pipe in the wall just behind my head when I was in bed.
I could drop off in minutes when it rained...I'd love to replicate that sound.

Longtime tinnitus sufferer here. I'm only 30. Mine set in after my wisdom teeth removal, well before my speaker days even, so I know it's not hearing damage induced. (apparently it's a low percentage complication). The only relief I've found is benzodiazepines; they don't mask the sound, but they keep me relaxed so I don't grind my teeth at night (makes it worse the next day) and so I don't get anxious over it "always going to be there". Doesn't sound like you have it nearly as bad as I do, so I wouldn't go this route. I will say, though, that I looked into white noise programs and there was one very robust one that came the closest for actually doing something for me (still needed the drugs in my case). I'm sure they have a rainfall simulation, and it's all kinds of versatile. I'll try to dig it up.

I often suffer from tinnitus, I built a noise generator while ago but I've still got to get round to making a case for it.

I have ten+ years on you and I don't have it anywhere near as bad, you have my sympathies.

From the sound of it, your situation appears to be related to the nerves or jawbone?

I did get a broken jaw many (20) years ago, but I doubt that has any contribution as my ringing has only developed in the last five years or so.

I'd likely attribute it to very loud music in close confines (bedrooms, cars) along clubbing each weekend and heavy daily use of pneumatic power tools.

I've had a look at the link you kindly provided and can see some potential...I'll have to have a play with the mixing.

I often suffer from tinnitus, I built a noise generator while ago but I've still got to get round to making a case for it.

I saw your post during my searches.

Regardless of the case, did you happen to try it out?

I'm wondering whether to make the stereo version in the link I posted above, and stick it into an old enclosure....nothing to lose except another '386 and a few components.

No, I didn't get round to testing it properly.

I designed it for both white noise and pink noise but I made a mistake with the pink noise filter, I set the gain far too low so it was too quiet. I'm not too bothered because the white noise was acceptable.

When I get a suitable enclosure I'll finish the project and post pictures.

If the response from the speaker is fairly flat then white noise sounds harsh because it has more power in higher frequencies. Pink noise is white noise with a 3db/octave filter that sounds smooth.

I have had tinnitus for so long that I often forget that I have it until post like this remind me that I do...
I really have not done anything about it, other than live with it. I figure that I will see a doctor about it after the new health care plan kicks in and it gets paid for out of Harvey42's paycheck... smirk

Last edited:
I've had tinnitus from a very young age, I was about 15 when I first noticed it and it doesn't seem have to been getting any worse over the last 13 years of my life.

I've not had any problems with my hearing, when I had it tested at the age of 17, it was above average. I know my hearing is probbaly not as good now as it was then but I don't have any problems in day to day life so I don't see any need to get it tested again.

A couple years ago, I was trying to remove the universal joint from my driveshaft on my pickup. It seemed to be stuck, and repeated hammering hadn't budged it. So I held fast to my punch (a socket of appropriate size), cocked my my arm and took a mighty swing. The U-joint came out, but I suddenly began to hear a cell phone ringing in my ear! It was realy bad for awhile, but has diminished over time. Now, I can hear it faintly sometimes,but ususally don't even notice it.

Last edited:
Autoguru is right (I think). Pink noise is the way to go. I was gifted with tinnitus when I developed peripheral neuropathy. From what I read it can also be caused by high blood preasure.
Beethoven was seen running through Frankfurt covering his ears and screaming in pain. I do not believe any of us are of that badly. Many people in the audio or high-noise industries develop it.

It depends on the tinnitus, mine is a higher frequency so will probably be better with white noise.

It doesn't bother be most of the time but there are odd occasions when I find it hard to get to sleep.

I heard that Asprin and a few similar pain killing drugs also cause tinnitus.

Open space offices use "noise masking" so that you can't hear what other people are talking about. It uses pink noise and most people there don't know it is there because it is so smooth. If it was white noise then they will complain it is too harsh.

Rivers, creeks or rain on roof-tops create sonds similar to pink noise. If you want real noise invite your mother-in-law over. I am sure she is realy nice? loud? repetitive? repetitive? echo? echo?
Most people afflicted with tinnitus learn to live with it. Any pain that is constant can be managed by the sufferer. Pain that fluctuates (now I know what a Gaussian curve feels like) is hard and not easily appreciated by the healthy.
Get out of this chair! Get some execise!
Oh. Maybe I will take my own advise. Elk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…