Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WhiteKnightTwo mothership rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
A few days ago
http://www.space.com said:
wnight2-jpg.21282

The first WhiteKnightTwo mothership sits on a Mojave, Calif., runway with designer Burt Rutan and Sir Richard Branson nearby. Credit: Virgin Galactic

"This is a big airplane," said Scaled Composites founder, Burt Rutan, and Chief Technology Officer and Chairman Emeritus of the company. "It is not an inappropriate claim to say this is the largest all-composite airplane," he told SPACE.com.
I am a big fan of Ratan. This thing is incrediable.

Attachments

• wnight2.jpg
    wnight2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 440
Yeah, that thing is very cool indeed. And Rutan is indeed a genius. Apparently he understands aeronautics on an instinctual level as well as technical and scientific--he's got a true "feel" for it which helps him design things many other engineers would not even attempt.

Of course, that's just what I've read about him. I've never met the man and I'm not qualified to judge his abilities in any case. But his creations tend to work and they just look SO cool.

Torben

It use the same configuration as the Heinkel He-111Z Zwilling used to tow the huge Me-321A Gigant. The He-111Z is a pair of He-111H twin-engine bombers joined together by a common wing center section with a fifth engine. https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Messerschmitt-Me321/gigant.php

It looks like the WhiteKnightTwo will carry passengers both fuselages.

Attachments

• ME111Z.jpg
    ME111Z.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 265
  • ME111Zb.jpg
    ME111Zb.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Yes, it was on UK TV the other day, however, that's only half the project, the actual space going part isn't built yet, and it was 'displayed' under a large cover (or at least something was!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back