Who can find datasheet of this 'S442' general purpose NPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Total marking is "S442, 89 F, 8248" TO-92 plastic case. An engineer said- it is general purpose NPN. But even he don't know more about it. I tried to get datasheet but failed. I got 100 pieces of these transistor. So I need to know all about it. Please!

And why such datasheet is hard to get?

All that fits in TO-92?
Yes, there are three lines on TO-92 face (aluminium color painted) with small font-
1st line- S442
2nd line- 89 F
3rd line- 8248

My main problem is to find out is its transition frequency and AC current gain. I have no needed tools for test. I can test its hFE simply using DMM. Also I can test its collector current by few trial-error.

May be it was not designed for sale. May be it was custom design. May be it has little unusual feature then...

Last edited:
The only thing I've found that comes close is IRFS442, a N-channel Mosfet in TO-3P package.

Can you check its a NPN?
Sure, It's NPN and I measured its average hFE= 205. It has unusual pin (leads) length because I have 100 pieces of these new NPN but all has short leads. Seems like- all these transistors are exactly ready to place on PCB!

I only asked because the nearest I found was a PNP, strange that there is no datasheet, I found a couple of replacement ones but the hfe was way lower than that! so they are not gong to help. Looks like your going to have to characterize a couple of them.
You could take a few guesses, like fairly low current because they are TO92 and have 250hfe. Time to experiment me thinks , see what it takes to get them warm enough to burn toast should do it

Sure, It's NPN and I measured its average hFE= 205. It has unusual pin (leads) length because I have 100 pieces of these new NPN but all has short leads. Seems like- all these transistors are exactly ready to place on PCB!
Or they were snipped from a pcb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…