will rca splitting cause a load?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone,

i have an rca output being used in the main room of the house. i wish to split it to send it to an aditional 2 maybe 3 other rooms of the house. hooking it up and geting the splitters isn't my problem.

my question is will running excessive feeds from the one single output to 3 seperate inputs cause the rca output to have a load on it that might cause poor video or audio quality?

cheers, ray

If a longer feed does have more losses due to cable length, parallel loads also introduce losses. Splitters manage the impedance levels properly. Perhaps you might need little equalization of signal (of course along with little amplification if the signal goes out of Receiver sensitivity).

I imagine the splitter the op is talking about is not a true splitter, rather a tee type connector, in which case the load goes from say 600 to 300 ohm. So you will have a signal loss. May not be a big deal for audio, but video may be of more concern, I suspect Nigel could give a better answer on this, as this is his area.

Last edited:

Morning Mike,

I have a triple splitter on my AV TV system.
Main TV, remote TV [8mtr run] and PC [tv card, 2mtr run], there is only a minor loss in picture quality.
Its also plugged into a DVD/VCR unit, near the main TV.

I figured as much, that is why I did not make a matter of fact statement as I am not so wise in this matter

I figured as much, that is why I did not make a matter of fact statement as I am not so wise in this matter

I think sometimes the best [empirical] way is to try it.

Many of these quality issues are subjective at the end of the day.

thanks guys, ill make up the cables and just give it a go see what happens... worse comes to worse ill amplify it.

ill use the best connectors, cable and splitters i can get my hands on and see how i go... cheers.

Audio will normally be perfectly fine, but not video - for a start each load is 75 ohms, and the source impedance is 75 ohms, so you have to amplify the video signal and provide separate 75 ohm outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…