Wire wound resistor query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless1

Hey people,

What would the difference be between a normal 5W wire wound resistor and a 5W "power" wire wound resistor...
We going through an interesting discussion here at work, what do you guys think?

Nameless1 said:
Hey people,

What would the difference be between a normal 5W wire wound resistor and a 5W "power" wire wound resistor...
We going through an interesting discussion here at work, what do you guys think?

"power" is just a label, doesn't mean much at all!

5W is 5W is 5W is 5W is... you get the idea.

Also, don't use wirewound resistors at high frequencies as they're inductive, use metal film resistors instead.

Cool, figured its the same...just wanted to know what the other view points were. Also, we in the Component distribution industry and thats what the customer specified...and sometimes they can be fussy for no reason! blerry customers!

Nameless1 said:
Cool, figured its the same...just wanted to know what the other view points were. Also, we in the Component distribution industry and thats what the customer specified...and sometimes they can be fussy for no reason! blerry customers!

Yes sometimes a wirewound is the best fit for the design. Say, the design doesnt operate at high frequencies and you need 2ppm of stability. Not many resistors can do that! - except a wirewound or some exotic (read expensive) foil technology.

hmmm....just had another thought....what are the odds of someday resistors becoming "redundant" as more and more they are included in semiconductor packages....???

Nameless1 said:
hmmm....just had another thought....what are the odds of someday resistors becoming "redundant" as more and more they are included in semiconductor packages....???
That would be so nice for designing tightly packed PCBs

Nameless1 said:

The odds are nil. There are lots of reasons for this.

I take it you're talking about types of resistor or packages becoming obsolete. You'll never have a particular value becoming obsolete for obvious reasons.

I can see carbon film becoming obsolete as it's very noisy, lower tolerance and more expensive than metal film which is superior in every respect. As far as packages are concerned, I can't see any packages in current use becoming obsolete but I've opened up old radios and seen resistors in weird packages with spots on them instead of bands that are probably obsolete as I've never seen any of them in component catalogues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…