Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless 2-way signal transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokiomega

I need a device that can send and receive 4 - 24vdc signals wirelessly. Current draw is .1A; can have a 24vdc source at each point if necessary.

Thank you

You want to send a 4VDC to 24VDC signal wirelessly?

What do you mean by 0.1A current draw? Is that the receiver or transmitter?

Most transmitter modules seem to be AC coupled.

I found a couple that are not. You could use an op-amp with a bit of level shifting to convert 4 to 24V signal to 0 to 10V and use a 0 to 10V wireless module.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thank you for the quick reply. What I am trying to do specifically is this: I have a Silent Knight fire alarm panel that has an SBUS OUT, which consists of four contacts, two constant power contacts (positive and negative) and two communications (A and B). I am trying to communicate with an annunciator that is usually hard-wired to these contacts. It does not have to be UL listed for fire alarm as I'm just merely trying to find a way to test the status of the system without having to travel back and forth from the devices to the panel.

I need to emulate this hard-wired connection with some kind of two-way radio system or similar. I am not sure if A and B are digital or analog. It may be possible to drop the two power contacts if I am carrying a 24v source, however the panel supervises all connections so it may complain.

Thank you.

Over what range? Which country?

Range should be as large as normal two-way radios at least... it is not really critical as this is essentially a tool to make my life easier. If I should get out of range it is always possible to revert to our current method of relaying signals manually through someone reading out the display through DirectTalk.

I am in the United States.

Basically I am just looking for something that if I cut the wire and put in this device, it would continue to operate as if it was still directly connected.

Last edited:
Range should be as large as normal two-way radios at least...

I am in the United States.

How do you propose licensing it to make it legal?

There aren't any legal issues as long as you use a licence-free band below a certain power level.

To make it easier, you can buy RF modules which have been designed to be legal.

You said the signal is 4V to 12VDC, then you said you weren't sure if it's analogue or digital but 4V to 24V is analogue.

The OP mentioned "two-way-radio" with a range of several miles, which implies licensed, type-accepted transceivers which operate in the VHF or UHF bands. Getting a license for this for unattended data transmission is expensive and quite difficult. There is no "license-free" mobile radio sub-band with a reliable range of several miles. All of the license-free stuff data-link stuff is lucky to have a range of ~100 feet.

Last edited:
I don't know about the US but here one can buy you can get licence free two radio which have and output of 0.5W and should be good up to a mile or so.
Licence free two way radios for leisure use

The original poster needs to specify the range.

I think I am being misunderstood. A few hundred feet is fine, I meant 2-way radio as in "walkie-talkie" type radios, perhaps I am using the wrong terms. When I said 4 - 24vdc signals I meant 4 different signals all at 24vdc, not 4 to 24v. Sorry to be vague.

Is that four 24V signals which are either high or low?

It's possible to send four digital signals in parallel but if you're talking about wireless power transfer then forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back