Wireless ear buds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

napalm

I'm thinking like those iPod ear buds, but make them wireless. Rather then use RF frequencies, you could use IR to save space. The IR module wired into the circuit would be enough to pulse the signal. They could be powered by those hearing aid batteries, and the IR LED could be connected to the 3.5mm jack on the iPod, its provides more then enough voltage, and it would pulse with the music. The only problem is that the audio would be mono. Any serious flaws or a way around the mono problem? I would prefer to use IR, considering its easier and would save space. Range isn't really a problem (form your pocket to your ear.) Hearing aid batteries last about 150hours. My other idea is that we could use those over-the-ear ear buds. Then build the the antenna into it. Meh, any suggestions? I'm not great at this sort of thing, but I'm trying. I've built RF receivers / transmitters before, but the coils and everything are too large for this type of project. My IR receivers/transmitters are pretty small.

Well yea, its line of sight. But it only has to pass through fabric. Hold your TV remote under your t-shirt, does it turn on? Mine does.

I agree that RF is much better, can you think of an easy way to incorporate an RF receiver into a small ear bud? If you can, I would certainly do that instead.

Elephant ears, no problemo. Human ears - better get an ic fab house working on it. Discreet components are just too big. Headphones will work, but earbuds are seriously small.

You need an infrared AM receiver and a power amp to drive the ear buds. They probably need a 9V battery. Where are they going to go?

They could be powered by 6 hearing aid batteries in series for only a couple of minutes. Who says 150 hours?

The IR would fade in and out as you move and there will be bad interference from sunlight and lights. A bad idea.

Now you will have an ipod, an adapter (how big and heavy is it?) that has its own battery (how long will it last?), great big ear muffs with a receiver and battery inside. Lots of stuff to carry around and to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…