Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Electricity Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara sd

hi all.....,

this is the name of my final year project i collect alot of datasheets and read about the whole idea but i`m really feel that i`m lost i can`t organize them i need ur help

i`d be thankfull :)

There is no practical way to transmit significant amounts of power (to charge a battery or run a PDA, for example) over more than 1/4" or so, basically direct contact where the distance between coils is << than the cross-sectional size of the coil. Basically means "must be in physical contact with magnetic charging pad, even though there are no contacts". This is of limited usefulness.

RFID transponders transmit enough power to turn on a battery-less RFID tag. That can work over a few inches at most, in some extreme cases with highly specialized, very directional antennas in controlled conditions, they got like 20ft. The whole idea depends on the RFID tag needing phenomenally low power to respond. It cannot be scaled up to power anything bigger.

Tesla coils can "transmit power" to weakly light fluorescent tubes some distance away. The process is very, very inefficient and produces RF levels capable of causing interference (or damage, actually) to electronics a great distance away. The RF levels are also probably not even safe for human-occupied space, not according to long-term exposure criteria.

There is a case for DIRECTED microwaves being focused on a microwave receiver. The idea is being explored for airborne drones and even beaming power from an orbital solar array down to earth. The field is not only highly specialized, but AFAIK it's still very limited range and inefficient. There is no way to make a demonstration project on this without being an advanced microwave engineer.

The idea of powering a laptop, PDA, or light bulb anywhere in the room with a wireless power transmitter nearby is simply not possible. The RF level needed would be harmful to the occupant, and the power requirements to obtain that much RF is absurdly high.

Last edited:
Do some reading on Nikola Tesla. He did some work on trying to accomplish electrical transmission without wires by generating extremely high voltages. A popular science fair project that is a spin off of this work is known as a 'Tesla Coil'.

In Colorado Springs, Colo., where he stayed from May 1899 until early 1900, Tesla made what he regarded as his most important discovery-- terrestrial stationary waves. By this discovery he proved that the Earth could be used as a conductor and would be as responsive as a tuning fork to electrical vibrations of a certain frequency.

He also lighted 200 lamps without wires from a distance of 25 miles (40 kilometres) and created man-made lightning, producing flashes measuring 135 feet (41 metres).

**broken link removed**

Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla's Biography

In more modern times, laser beams and microwaves have been proposed to transmit power without wires. There is a very public proposal for a large photovoltaic array in space where the power is transferred to earth by focused microwaves.

Last edited:
In Colorado Springs, Colo., where he stayed from May 1899 until early 1900, Tesla made what he regarded as his most important discovery-- terrestrial stationary waves. By this discovery he proved that the Earth could be used as a conductor and would be as responsive as a tuning fork to electrical vibrations of a certain frequency.

He also lighted 200 lamps without wires from a distance of 25 miles (40 kilometres) and created man-made lightning, producing flashes measuring 135 feet (41 metres).

I love Tesla, but much of the old stuff about Tesla is inaccurate. The Tesla coil is well understood now, as is the principle by which antennas are coupled which is what he was doing. There's no way to light "200 lamps at 25 miles"; the power required would have vastly exceeded what he had even with the direct feed from the power plant he had.

If he did anything, then it might have been fluorescent tubes which could light up faintly with even miniscule amounts of power, and a highly directional antenna. But even that is unlikely. I've never seen a proper source on this claim even, just that "he did it". It is much more likely that either he was making false claims about what he did or could do (Tesla made a lot of... well, "unsubstantiated" claims later in his career), or more likely someone just made this up later. The story about "Tesla's 1931 Electric Pierce-Arrow" is not only fictitious, but Tesla had nothing to do with this lie. It was written long after his death. Why someone felt the need to do this I can't fathom, but yeah someone made it up.

I think I could Tell you some facts.

you know IR radiation? well IR (infrared) can be used for this purpose. you can use the change in form of energy. all you can do is take a photosensitive diode (IR) and use a switch kind of circuitory. depending on the intensity of the ir radiation the circuit would be drived and you would get more energy from less energy. ie your circuit would have say 1mA current flowing. but when the diode is hit with IR then IR would transfer energy to the diode and current would flow through the circuit. just transmitting electricity wireless is a hypothetical concept and dont think in that direction. stick to laws of thermodynamics. this IR transmission phenomenon is being thought of as a potential media to transmit electricity wirelessly in future. dont go for anything impractical or which violates the laws.

That's very inefficient compared to RF.

There is a method to transmit useful amounts of power over distances of several feet using magnetic coupling and resonance. Whether it will actually be practical is a good question.

Edit: Tesla was a rather eccentric individual (to put it mildly). He was a genius but prone to hyperbole and exaggeration. I don't think he actually was able to do all the things he said about remote power transfer, especially powering devices from miles away. It's hard to believe that he would have been able to do that more than a 100 years ago and no one has been able to duplicate that feat since.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back