Wireless Message Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camac

Hey all,
I am fairly new to electronics I know almost all of the basics, but I would like to know if anyone knows of any tutorials where a wireless message gets sent by a computer and goes to a reciver where it gets displayed on an LCD screen (prefrebly scrolling).
Also it has to be on a legal frequency because I need at least 1km (prob not possible)
If anyone canhelp it will be very-much appreciated!
Regards
Cameron

What about those mobile road signs? I wonder what frequency they work on? Mind you, they could be SMS controlled or something like that. Infact, maybe you could go down that route! Nothing illegal about using SMS, and provided you don't intend for the message to change very frequently, it could be cost effective to use.

If you've got an old Nokia phone which you're not using or something, maybe you could look into controlling it via the serial port. You'll have to do some research into the commands that are available, but I think you should be able to obtain the text information from within a text message and use it to control a display.

Obviously, that's quite an involved project involving some complex microcontroller programming.

Brian

there's a load of kits and assembled devices which convert serial to wireless and back again. depending on the datarate you need to update your lcd with, that will determine the cost

1km range isn't that far, but it sounds like NLOS - non line of site ... so you'll want to keep that in mind when choosing the band for your transimitter

thermal's sms suggestion is another great idea ... everything is done already for you ... just jack your computer into a cell phone (or get a SMS card for it), and transmit messages wirelessly, to an LCD screen (aka another cell phone), range is much more than 1km too

Yes and, using suitable commands, he should be able to obtain the text from the SMS and display it on a suitable LCD screen. Scrolling is possible, if you write the software to allow it.

Brian

If money isn't an issue, just use a Pocket PC with WiFi to display your scrolling message. All hardware could be obtained off-the-shelf (including directional antenna). You'd only need some custom software on the PPC to display the message.

Dan East

They all sound great but...
The only problem is, is that it is for an invention that my dad and I are working on .
The only problem is I cant talk too much about it because it isnt really patented yet...
oops probably shouldnt have said that

It is also expected to go into a type of high production (like all inventions - expected ) and money isnt really and issue

First thing you need to do then is find the exact legal position, no good putting an item into production if you can't sell it! (or at least if it's illegal to use!).

Bear in mind, this legal position will be different for other countries, so that's another thing to bear in mind!.

The project itself looks fairly easy, as long as you can source legal licence-free wireless data modules that will do the required distance!.

Camac said:
The only problem is I cant talk too much about it because it isnt really patented yet...
oops probably shouldnt have said that

what's the point of saying something like that ... this isn't a real time chat or voice conversation ... if you didn't mean to say something, then why did you type it? and if it was typed and later realised to be something that shouldn't be said, then use the edit button and erase the comment

It was a joke .... *cricket chirping*

Anyway I am thinking of using a ZigBEE modual, also I will get back to you about the size of the LCD.
Regards
Cameron

PLEASE, remove the stars from your eyes on the usefulness of patents. A reliance on a patent will ultimately bring you to your knees, as large corporations with deep pockets infringe, and DARE you to enforce your patent. They have deeper pockets, smarter lawyers, more capable engineers, and way more patience than you do. In order to get the patent you have to disclose the details of your invention, and a lawyer would jump all over the discussion in this forum, as proof of prior art known to one who is skilled in the profession.

My advice to you is to forget the patent. Don't bother even consulting an attorney. Build a few and sell a few, then repeat that process. If you can't do that then the patent wasn't worth anything from the beginning. If someone else enters the business then you should sellout or move on. Any money you spend on an attorney will be money down a VERY VERY VERY large rathole. As a successful entrepreneur and small businessman, am I making myself abundantly clear?

If you are the first to sell them, your name might stick and people might stay with you.. And you can compete and sell to a big company later.

uh, I wouln't discourage patents but the points are important to understand. Knowing the costs are important since you might discover that your potential profit would never justify the patent costs. It's no different than any other business cost/benefit analysis.

on the subject of high volume - I would build the prototype first but keep in mind the need to cost reduce and increase distance. there are lots of RF modems that can go that distance or better. Get a working model to test the RF stuff with.

Geez... I thought I had an attitude about patents. Lancaster blows me out of the water by a margin of several megatons at least.

He does seem to have validity. Everytime I read about someone having a patent of a popular product, I always read about them getting screwed by a big company. I think the last one I read was something about Dolby Surround Sound.

I thought patents were about protecting a person's hard work, but I suppose there are pros and cons to that kind of thing. Either way, I definitaley think it's unfair that you should be able to get away with breaking the law merely because you're a big company and you've got loads of cash. The law is the law, and it should apply equally to mere mortals like me with hardly a penny to my name, as it does to a big cheese in a big company with millions of pounds to his name. Just because he has more money than me, is no reason for him to have more power to break the law. That is definately very wrong.

Brian

Do you believe in fairies as well?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…