wireless speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoandrewson

hi people,

i had an idea to implement a wireless speaker system. i thought of routing the line out signal of any system (ipod, pc) to a circuit consisting of adc, and then routing it to wireless usb. on the other side, another wireless usb and a dac given to line in of speaker.. will this idea work? what are the other parameters i need to consider?

No it won't, you forgot the computer at each end between the wireless USB and the ADC/DAC.

i thought of powering by batteries. and why do we need a computer at both ends? the output of the line out will be directly fed to adc, that will be routed to wireless usb. same at the reciever. i thought of using cypress proc as wireless usb.

neoandrewson said:
i thought of powering by batteries. and why do we need a computer at both ends? the output of the line out will be directly fed to adc, that will be routed to wireless usb. same at the reciever. i thought of using cypress proc as wireless usb.

As long as you can do all the required processing then you will be fine, but essentially it's then a computer - with you writing all the OS and USB host stuff.

I'd recommend using 24 bit DACs like the TI(Burr Brown) PCM1704

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/04/pcm1704.pdf

Prices should be coming down as the high end audio folks move to 192kHz and 384 kHz. Think you have the stones for it?

BTW Nigel is right you need a computer at both ends. I guess you have a choice of using one or two computers on the transmitting end and you need a computer at each speaker. I suppose you might be able to do a couple of mega FPGAs with DSP cores but that still ranks as a computer in my book.

Last edited:
got it!

hi all,

thanks a lot for the reply. i'm studyin undergraduate. so thought of doin a project with wireless speakers using this chip. actually i thought it would be lot simpler. now i realized it would take two sound card at both ends!

but i'm curious how wireless speakers are implemented using bluetooth? do they use the same analogy?

attached is the idea how i had visualized..

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 139
A way to implement wireless speakers is to hook up each speaker to small FM radios, and then hook up your audio device to an FM transmitter. Both are sold for dirt cheap prices and are very small. In fact i'm running a similar setup right now.

In know this takes away the fun and learning experience of building it yourself but if you're more interested in the product than the process then i suggest going this route as its much faster and considerably cheaper.

Type "Fm transmitter" into ebay and you'll get thousands of hits. The one i'm using i bought from here **broken link removed**

Audio quality of that particular one isn't all that great so i'm probably going to change that sometime.

The radios can be any FM receiver that you can tune. i got a couple of mini-FM receivers and tuned them to receive at the frequency of the transmitter.

As the old saying goes: you get what you pay for. My setup cost $60 total for the transmitter and receivers but the sound quality that comes out reflects that.

You're still better off with wired speakers if you want the best quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…