Wirewound Resistors in RC filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
So if I had a 1kHz RC filter, do you think I could use a chip wirewound resistor? 1kHz is pretty low and if anything I *think* the inductance *might* somehow help the filtering. At the very least I don't think it would have any negative impact.

Opinions?

Won't hurt but you're right it's not likley to help either, unless you can find wirewound resistors designed with high inductance in mind.

I fear the chip wire wound resistors are wound in a fasion the inductance is cancelled -- Halve the wire length by folding back at the centre - after winding the doule wire- solder the leads
instead you can staight go for chip inductors and call it LC filter

If this is a low pass with the L in series with the R, it will help roll off the response. However, if The ratio of L/R is much smaller than R*C then, your little bit of "L" is really not doing much. I imagine that the parasitic L of a wirewound chip resistor is relatively small.

What size are the wirewound resistors?

I've seen some huge wire wound reostats wound on iron formers that are so inductive that they draw a huge arc from a 24V supply when they are disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…