Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24 vdc Power supply problem.

gary350

This 3 week old electric drill has broken wires already. Picture on plastic case says center hole is positive. Both wires are broken off not sure which wire is which to the plastic case. If I solder wires on wrong will that kill the PS or the charging circuit inside the drill? Power supply says 24 vdc and me digital meter says 23.9 vdc. The case is glued together I wonder if it can be cut open. Harbor Freight does not sell extra PS.

101_8916.JPG
101_8914.JPG

Last edited:
Power supply label clearly shows the center pin is positive. Once re-connected, measure the voltage at the plug with DC voltmeter and make sure positive lead is in center. Should read +24VDC plus or minus a bit....
PS: Insulate the solder connections so they don't short against each other.

If it's only 3 weeks old, it should still be under warranty at Harbor Freight. But it doesn't look like "normal wear and tear."

No, it's either old, or it's been seriously abused.

It can certainly be repaired though, I find it's easiest to cut round the join of the two halves, with either a small hacksaw or Dremel disc - repair the unit, then glue it back together.

No, it's either old, or it's been seriously abused.

It can certainly be repaired though, I find it's easiest to cut round the join of the two halves, with either a small hacksaw or Dremel disc - repair the unit, then glue it back together.

Plastic on the copper wire seems to be too hard when I bent it 180 degrees plastic insulation cracks open exposing the 2 copper wires. I have the bad wire repaired but I'm not happy with the ugly repair. VOM test shows center is 24 vdc positive and the electric drill is charging.

I have 3 more old power supplies from older electric drills that batteries will no longer hold a charge or drills are worn out and trashed long ago. One is 24 vdc, another 26 vdc, the other one 27 vdc. They all have different plugs that will not plug into my new electric drill. My ugly repair will have to make do for now. These tiny 7 strands of #28 copper wire are almost too small to work with.

101_8921.JPG
101_8920.JPG

Last edited:
The second adapter you show has identical ratings. You could change the plug end of it and use it if desired. Just verify the polarity at the plug end after soldering any wires.
Splicing an old plug (with long wire) mid way down the new adapter wire is a lot easier to work with than right at the adapter molding like the old adapter. Stagger the wires (offset by an inch) while cutting and splicing makes for a neater look, and makes insulating easier since no one wire can touch the other, even by mistake.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back