Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110V AC Periodic Spark Generator - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwrighto

Hi all,

I am building a project that requires an automatic intermittent ignition source. One option I have is to periodically (about every 20-60 seconds) create a spark over 2 or 3, one to two inch gaps. The discharge can either go back through the circuit (sorry if I am not using the proper terminology) or be immediately grounded via a metal piping system (i.e. jump from circuit to the ground). What are some ideas on as simple as possible ways to achieve this?

1. I prefer to use 110V A/C source unless a cheap, long lasting DC source will suffice (i.e. AA battery powered which can last 10+ hours of sparking).

2. Easy and cheap as possible.

3. I would like to make this as safe as possible (my friend and I will be working very near the spark gap paying attention to other things).

4. If multiple spark gaps complicate things I can live with one.

Thanks!

Dan

You can simply use a car ignition coil. Its primary works on 12volts DC (pulsed) and its secondary will put a few tens of thousands of volts out.

The voltage out will at least be able to jump a 3/4in gap!

You can get 12volts DC from a transformer (110VAC to 12VAC) and diode rectifier.
AA's won't last long-the ignition coil draws a few amps of current!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back