110V AC Periodic Spark Generator - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwrighto

Hi all,

I am building a project that requires an automatic intermittent ignition source. One option I have is to periodically (about every 20-60 seconds) create a spark over 2 or 3, one to two inch gaps. The discharge can either go back through the circuit (sorry if I am not using the proper terminology) or be immediately grounded via a metal piping system (i.e. jump from circuit to the ground). What are some ideas on as simple as possible ways to achieve this?

1. I prefer to use 110V A/C source unless a cheap, long lasting DC source will suffice (i.e. AA battery powered which can last 10+ hours of sparking).

2. Easy and cheap as possible.

3. I would like to make this as safe as possible (my friend and I will be working very near the spark gap paying attention to other things).

4. If multiple spark gaps complicate things I can live with one.

Thanks!

Dan

You can simply use a car ignition coil. Its primary works on 12volts DC (pulsed) and its secondary will put a few tens of thousands of volts out.

The voltage out will at least be able to jump a 3/4in gap!

You can get 12volts DC from a transformer (110VAC to 12VAC) and diode rectifier.
AA's won't last long-the ignition coil draws a few amps of current!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…