12 volt divide-by-12 IC...is there such a critter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldiemotors

Hey folks,

Great forum, I peruse the pages regularly and finally registered.

Looking for help with the following divider circuit I am building. I need to take a 5v square wave, divide its frequency by 12, and output a 12v square wave.

A 74LS92 will do the trick, but it is a 5V IC and outputs a 5v pulse. To keep the number of components to a minimum I am wondering if anyone knows of a divide-by-12 IC out there that operates on 12-15v and outputs a 12v square wave?

Thanks for any assistance,
Daryl

CD4000 series CMOS circuits will operate from 12V.

Since a straight binary counter can not give a divide by 12 with a 50% duty-cycle, you can do a divide by six followed by a divide by two.

A CD4029 presetable binary up/down counter should work for the divide by six. Each time the counter reaches zero, have it preset to 6 and then count down to zero. To get a 50% duty-cycle, connect the carry output of the divide-by-six counter to the clock input of a D flip-flop, such as the CD4013 configured to toggle for a divide-by-two (D input to the /Q output). The result will be a divide-by-12 with a 50% duty cycle.

Crutschow, thanks for the information. I was considering using a 7492 to control a BC547 transistor and have the transistor pass the 12v I was looking for. But, I would still need a 5v voltage regulator or at least a simple voltage divider to power the 7492. I forgot to mention that I am using 12v as the supply.

I was hoping that a 12v version of the 7492 existed, but if not I like your approach better than my transistor idea. Should provide a nice clean square wave.

Thanks again,
Daryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…