Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V & 24V battery monitor using LM3914

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil.r

Hi
New to this forum, and returning to electronics as a hobby (but spent the last 15 years in electronic manufacture, until it moved to a "low Cost country":rolleyes:

I want to build a battery monitor unit, to be built into a model locomotive to show battery condition, and re-charge. I want the make a PCB & circuit which will work for 12v and 24v with a few component changes. The LED display will be a few green, yellow and red LEDs, to show battery condition.

I tried the circuit which Roff produced back in February 2006, on a bread baord, as this looked nice, (used a LM3914, and LM742 ot TL071 op amp, & a LM317 volt reg)
Sorry, not sure how to get a link to this.:eek:

but could not get it to work properly, then tried a few other simpler designs, using the LM3914, just to check I understood the diagrams, and that I did not damage the LM3914 chip, and these work. I am starting to understand the chip and the datasheet.

I have downloaded the LM3914 calculator, which has also helped me get my old brain working again. so have worked out the resisitor network arround pin 7&8.
I like the idea of using a voltage reference, so want to use a fixed 9V volt reg, (with a couple of caps, to cover noise etc) to drive the LED's & the LM3914.
I was think of a voltage divider to get the input to pin 5, the signal pin, at arround 4 to 5 volts, plus I guess a decoupling cap.
I think I then need to supply "V Low" (pin 4) with a voltage arround 4 volts,(bottom of the display, and this is this just a resistor and pot, to 0V to set the voltage at pin 4 to 4ish volts?
The a similar arrangement around pin 6, "V High" to set the upper point?
Does pin 6 and 7 link together?

Does this sound right?
or
Is there a better way?

Sorry, I have no way of drawing this on a computer, to show my ramblings.

Neil

hi Neil,

Ref your PM, I have just added a circuit option for a 12V monitor on my Blog.

It uses the battery supply, no 9V regulator.

Eric

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back