Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v or 60v Inverter. Does it Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonmot

Hello! I'm in the middle of a build. It's a lithium battery pack ( aka solar generator). The plans called for 60 volt 2500 watt DC>AC inverter. I accidentally bought a 12 volt. The project also incorporates a 60v > 12v converter for stepping down the battery pack voltage for 12v outlets, cooling fans, etc. Theoretically, the power from the battery would go directly to the inverter, but since my inverter can only handle 12V input and the battery pack is 56V, I'm guessing I could just put the converter between the battery and the inverter?

My question is, are their any advantages/disadvantages to doing it this way? Do I loose anything by stepping down the voltage before the inverter? I could return the 12V inverter and get a 60V version, but is it worth the bother or should I just step down the battery voltage to the needed 12 volts?

Thank you!

Every time that the power has to be converted, you waste energy. That's because each conversion is not 100% efficient. So, for the sake of maximizing the system efficiency, get the 60 Volt inverter.

Other factors: What is the power capacity of your 60 to 12 Volt converter? To use it it would need to handle the 2500 watt inverter power in addition to the other 12 Volt loads.

Thanks for the advice. I think now it's not worth sacrificing efficiency for a rather modest nuisance factor for returning the 12V and getting the 60V. The converter is rated for 30 amps. Appreciate your help!

Thanks for the advice. I think now it's not worth sacrificing efficiency for a rather modest nuisance factor for returning the 12V and getting the 60V. The converter is rated for 30 amps. Appreciate your help!
At 2500 Watts, the 12 Volt inverter would need over 200 Amps from the 12 volt converter.

At 2500 Watts, the 12 Volt inverter would need over 200 Amps from the 12 volt converter.
That would need some very fat cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back