Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16F84 Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rico

Gud day!! Thanks 4 the reply you send last time... can I ask about the 16F84 microcontroller and its available uses in electronics for our project..
Thank youvery much hope you can help me this...

rico said:
Gud day!! Thanks 4 the reply you send last time... can I ask about the 16F84 microcontroller and its available uses in electronics for our project..
Thank youvery much hope you can help me this...

The 84 was replaced by the 16F628 many years ago, you shouldn't use the 84 (unless you already have a big pile of them!) - the 628 has a better spec, and is cheaper!.

16F628 microcontroller

thanks for the reply :)

where can we avail this microcontroller?
is it available in our country (philippines)? and how much does it cost?

we have this project that uses 16F84 and to my surprised the chip was replaced already by 16F628...can you send me the uses of this microcontroller so that i have an idea where to use this...

Thank you very very much you've really helped us a lot.. hope you can send me the facts about the 16F628.....

hi, I have just finished printing the 175 pages of the mikroelektronics tutorial on the MicroController and noticed that it used PIC16F84 as a base PIC. Question is, if the 16F84 has been replaced 16F628, would I still be able to implement my project if my background is in 16F84? :oops:

Is there a summary of difference between the 2? So that I'll know what to adjust if ever I get to figure out 16F84 :shock:

:D
Microchip still produce 16F84 under 16F84A indicative up to 20 MHz.
So the 16F628 not replaced 16F84, Nigel want to say that 16F628 is better and cheaper than 16F84A and can easily change an app build for 16F84 to run on 16F84A, but is not an absolute need for this, what I say 16F84A is still produced by Microchip, why have a bigger price than 16F628 I don't know.

thanks tavib, so this means I could go ahead an figure out how to program that 16F84 and figure out how tochange the app to run on 16F628, unless there's a tutorial that you know of like the one in mikroelectronika which is very user friendly, then I'll go straight to that

tavib said:
:D
Microchip still produce 16F84 under 16F84A indicative up to 20 MHz.
So the 16F628 not replaced 16F84, Nigel want to say that 16F628 is better and cheaper than 16F84A and can easily change an app build for 16F84 to run on 16F84A, but is not an absolute need for this, what I say 16F84A is still produced by Microchip, why have a bigger price than 16F628 I don't know.

It's listed at MicroChip as not recommended for new designs, and has been for years! - MicroChip replaced it with the 628 long ago!.

It's more expensive simply because it's considered obselete, MicroChip are trying to discourage anyone from using it - and why would anyone want to?.

The two devices are almost completely interchangeable, at least the 628 can completely replace the 84 (obviously the other way round it's more limited, as the 84 is a more limited chip).

MicroChip have a 'migration document' for 84 to 628, this tells you everything you need to know - and that's VERY little. Basically you need to disable the comparators (two lines of code, see my tutorials which all do this), set the fuses correctly for the 628 - you might also need to move the GPR base address, it's been so long since I used an 84 I can't remember if it's the same or not!.

Once you've done those very simple things the rest is EXACTLY the SAME, code and hardware - the 628 is designed to be a complete replacement for the 84.

If this is your first PIC project...

If this is your very first project and don't feel sure, buy one 16F84A and go ahead.

But Nigel's point of view is reasonable. 16F628 has been available for long time now and cost LESS.

Anyway, buying a 16F84A once, will make not so much difference cost wise.

Yes, 90% of the tutorials in Internet are with 16F84A. Few with the now passé (almost) 16F877. Moving to the 16F628 should be simpler than what you imagine because there is little to do. And you will learn something in the process (if you are interested in learning).

But if you like, I could tell you how to use the 16C57. Still some available brand new in my bench. :wink:

Nothing is carved in the stone. The time you spend asking too many advices is time you could use in doing something. :(

Please, don't take me wrong. Go ahead. The worst: you will pay one expensive PIC instead of a cheap one. 3 U$S difference? Probably no more than that!

Buena suerte in you start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back