Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

180 leds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

I need some recommendations for ways to discretely control 180 leds. what I want to build is a circle, circumscribed with 60 RGB leds (180 leds total) .

right now I'm thinking about eight shift registers per color group, that'll give me 64 channels, times three, for a total of 192. I seem to recall seeing a 32 bit shift register from MAXIM or maybe it was someplace else - probably cost more than 8 74hc595's would cost.

I'm thinking I'll make up a circuit board to hold the 24 shift registers, and then use headers / cable harness to wire up the leds. Or I might need to make three circuit boards, with just 8 registers each - it depends how messy the routing becomes.

I'm wondering how to calculate the update rate I can expect shifting out 192 bits of data with a 20mHz pic.

Is there an easier way I'm overlooking? I thought about some sort of multiplexing or matrix building, but the leds kinda prevent that - they'll either be common anode or common cathode depending on the cost from the supplier.

The data rate won't be a problem, you can shift data far faster than you require with a much slower device. For a simple multiplexing, how about having 60 outputs from the shift registers, and switch (multiplex) between the three colours?. It's not a minimum output solution, but you're not really looking for that - and it's simple.

justDIY said:
that sounds like a great plan ... certainly 8 registers is better than 24! Three of the remaining four bits of the 64 bit register could even be used to control which color group was active.

I'm a big believer in keeping things simple! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back