Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

198-242VAC 80VA MAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pahoa96778

Hi everyone. I have a piece of test equipment from China and need a step-up transformer. Ratings on the unit at the plug state 198-242VAC, 80VA MAX. If I'm doing the math right I could easily get away with using a 110-120VAC to 220-240VAC rated @ 500W MAX. Am I right?

Just be a little wary that if you are on a 60Hz frequency, the equipment may not function correctly if it uses the 50Hz for timing or similar. If it states 50-60Hz then it should be fine :)

When I needed a 110 to 220 transformer I also needed more functions so......
What I have has 110/220 in, 110/220 out + isolation.
I use the isolation more than anything. Some transformers do not have isolation.
Also many transformers have a way to get slightly more and slightly less than normal voltages. When I test power supplies I want to see that they not only work at 110 but 'low line' and 'high line' 110 and 220.

Your idea of using 80 watts from a 500 watt transformer is good if you can afford it. Using 80 watts from a 100 watt transformer will cause the voltage to sag some. The small transformers are 'soft'. Many transformers, when run at full power, will be over 100C. HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back