Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1n4148

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

We know that the voltage drop across a rectifier diode like 1N4001 is 0.7V in forward bias. What about the voltage drop across a 1N4148? Is a 1N4148 diode in silicon family or it is a germanium diode?

The last question is what If I need to use a high speed diode like 1n4148 but with a current capability of 400mA and a MAX voltage of say 200V? Any diode? Actually I have a switching power supply which originally uses a 1N4148, Now I want to replace the said 1N4148 with a more powerful similar diode, Any suggestion please?

Thanks a bunch

1N4148 is a silicon type, so has a current-dependent forward voltage drop of typically 0.6-0.7V. Google would have told you that.
If I need to use a high speed diode like 1n4148 but with a current capability of 400mA and a MAX voltage of say 200V? Any diode?
No, not any diode. Go to a supplier's website and check out the diode specs/datasheets.

The 1N4148 is silicon, so .7V. For a high speed diode in a switcher, I would use a Schottky. For instance, a CSD01060A diode has ZERO recovery time, and way higher voltage and current ratings than you need.

In the attached data sheet is a graph of forward voltage verses current.

1N4148 is a fast diode.
1N4001 is a slow diode.

MUR120 1A 200V fast.

The Trr on a MUR120 is ten times slower than the Trr on the 1N4148.

The Trr on a MUR120 is ten times slower than the Trr on the 1N4148.

Yes!

He is talking switching power supply. The MUR120 is a good diode for that. 45nS.
A 1N4002 is rated at 60hz. Typically does not have a Trr rating because it is so slow. Should never be used in a switcher.

Also try uF4002. Also ten times slower but a good power supply diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back