2.4Ghz 12V and 4amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyamos79

Can anyone suggest a transistor or circuit arrangement to produce the following:

2.4Ghz square wave
12V
2 - 4 amps continuous

Any ideas or comments would be good. Obviously anyone with reasons for this not being a good idea for whatever reason, please let me know. I have a project idea but would like to know the limitations in this stage of the design before worrying about the rest.

Thanks again

Thats the microwave oven frequency range.

Can you say what you have in mind.?

I think Microwaves run at 2.2GHz, but many wireless apps run at 2.4GHz.

Morning Mike,

Be interested in what the OP is doing, that would enable better help.

Attachments

• esp01 Aug. 01.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 186
Okay, I stand corrected, but still many wireless devices like cordless phones and such run at 2400 Mhz, my cordless does. I could have sworn microwave ovens were 2.2, oh well I learned something today

Be interested in what the OP is doing, that would enable better help.

I agree, right now I am sceptical.

Last edited:
Okay, I stand corrected, but still many wireless devices like cordless phones and such run at 2400 Mhz, my cordless does. I could have sworn microwave ovens were 2.2, oh well I learned something today
I agree right now I am sceptical.

hi Mike,

When I run my microwave it interferes with my A/V sender.
Same thing happens when my neighbours runs her µWave.

It took me a week of messing about to try and work out why my server lost its internet connection at the same time every day. I had no email, no web server and the logs showed it didn't have a connection.

Turns out that when I stuck my lunch in the microwave, it killed the wireless connection the server was sitting on.

One hardwire later and all was well again.

Explanation

I have an idea that may be worth some cash and so cannot divulge too much info until I can prove it works, patent it and reap the rewards.

The general gist is that I need a 12V 2.4 Ghz signal that will be modified in a specific way in order to produce a desired waveform for an automotive purpose (hence the 12V).

I appreciate that there are implications attached to the high frequency and high power consumption with regard interference etc, but am also aware of the band being legally useable. The reason this band has been kept legal (for those interested) is simply because all microwaves use this frequency to heat your food and therefore its use cannot be suddenly made illegal. 2.4Ghz is supposedly the resonant frequency of water. This is why all wireless technology has based its carrier frequency around this value - ITS FREE!!

Sorry, but unlicenced use of ANY band isn't allowed, specific items are 'licence free', such as WiFi and Microwave ovens.

You're certainly NOT free to broadcast 50W or so microwave radiation, which SEVERELY breaks the rules on microwave leakage (5mW at 5cm in the UK) - and would probably be harmful.

It sounds like you know nothing about either electronics, or radio bands, so I'm doubtful whatever you're thinking off would work? - it would also be pretty expensive to generate 50W at 2.4GHz, and wipe out legal users for a large area.

It sounds like you know nothing about either electronics, or radio bands, so I'm doubtful whatever you're thinking off would work? - it would also be pretty expensive to generate 50W at 2.4GHz, and wipe out legal users for a large area.

At those powers ie a 50W continous emission, would be a serious radiation hazard to anyone within a few feet, if it was operated without a suitable enclosure.

It would cetainly contravene H&S standards.

Maybe he's developing the next WMD for America ?

Car mounted microwave cannon, instantly cooks your enemies as well as your lunch.

48W of microwaves at the resonant frequency of water and powered from a car's 12V?

Maybe it is another hair-brain HHO scam to "increase" the fuel economy of cars.

48W of microwaves at the resonant frequency of water and powered from a car's 12V?

Maybe it is another hair-brain HHO scam to "increase" the fuel economy of cars.
I think you nailed it.

Another person who thinks they can bypass the conservation of energy law.

I also do not think his wits was about him when first conceiving that idea, but hey don't fear it happens to everyone who gets an idea.

It could help if he would share a bit more about this "secretive" project.
Hope you're not planning a speed trap jammer or something silly.
You do know if a traffic official cannot get a reading on your vehicle, that he can confiscate your vehicle on suspicion of defying the ends of justice.
If proven, well......
There, was a guy here in the south of Johannesburg, did the same thing. Now he's missing a Porsche. Some politician is probably driving around with it now.

There are also some number plates doing the round here, when a mounted camera takes a photo of it and the flash goes of, all you see is this really shiny plate, no number.
What people would do to break the law these days.

I got the photo of my car speeding by a cop's camera.
I took it to court and showed it to the judge, "Your honor, one of all these cars is mine. Which one is speeding?" The judge dismissed the charge.

Without doing any research, my gut reaction is that this is extremely unusual and so it will be a very rare engineer who has the knowledge to give you useful circuit or component suggestions. While there is a vast supply of 2.4GHz transistors and modules out there, they are all tailored to the communications market, and for relatively narrowband operation. Your desire is for an extremely wideband switch, something with a bandwidth to above 15 GHz, in order to get even a sloppy rectangular waveform. This is a huge bandwidth and such a bandwidth at the power levels you want may be beyond common technology capabilities. Perhaps the current research into "Ultra Wideband" communications and imaging devices may unearth some devices capable of fast switching of these high power levels.

It would be an awful lot easier if you didn't need a square wave. Can you use a rounded waveform rather than a square one? This would improve feasibility enormously. If your goal is simply to generate power at 2.4GHz, a rounded waveform such as a sine wave would be almost simple by comparison.

When dealing with large power levels at these high frequencies, a designer will need to know what the nature of the load is. So you are not likely to get a comprehensive answer to your question without divulging some electrical properties of the load into which you will be pushing these 2 to 4 amps.

Of course there will be no regulatory issues if the energy is completely contained inside your apparatus. This could meet the existing Part 15 rules for an unintentional radiator. However, if you plan is to radiate into the open air then I fear it may be an impossible goal.

edit: on further reflection, one way to approach this problem might be to use a magnetron to generate a large amount of power in a sinusoidal form and then pass that power through a diode limiter to change the waveform. The initial high power generation might be at, say, 400 watts, and after clipping the tops off the sine wave, you might end up with somewhere around 50 to 100 watts as the clipping and matching process will have very poor efficiency. At least the magnetron is common, they are used in microwave ovens. Not sure if the diode clipper is feasible though. And of course it would be quite challenging to maintain the waveform shape as power is delivered to the load.

Last edited:
That simple?

No, our spietkops are trained photographers, it's always the speeding vehicle smack in the middle of the photo, and brilliantly in focus, while the others are not.
Pssst,
Just don't tell your cops, they might come and train from the guys over here.

Then you're also stuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…