2 Volt SLA battery charger help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czwalga

Alright, i've posted here before about this... but i'm having some trouble.

The battery is a 2 volt 5 amp hour SLA battery. I have a 12 volt sla battery charger (with a cutoff)... and was going to attempt to a circuit to charge my 2 volt battery along with my 12, however i'm not sure how.

I've looked I havnet even beenable to find a 2 volt SLA charger to buy.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

**broken link removed**

Sadly not to much. I read the info about the battery but its not really useful to me.

Its a 2volt hawker cyclone.

I disagree. I found the following application note on charging and discharging Cyclon batteries. At 58 pages,it seems pretty substantial to me. There is at least enough information to evaluate commercial chargers.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/04/US-CYC-AM-005_060420Application20Manual.pdf

The ones this company sells appear to be for data center or server farm applications. You might wish to contact them directly and ask if they have a suitable charger for your application.

Good Luck

Hi,
You can make a charger for a single Cyclon cell using an LM 317T
see https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/05/LM117.pdf
in particular page 19 "12V battery Charger"

Replace R2 in the circuit with a 180R resistor and 100R preset in series. This will give a range of around 2.2 to 2.7 Volts.
To adjust, connect a 100R resistor across the output and adjust for between 2.45 and 2.50 Volts for a cyclic charger or between 2.25 and 2.30 for a float (on for >48 hours) charger.

Optimal input voltage is around 5V but the input to your 12V charger can be used, you just need a bigger heatsink. Note he tab is not ground, if using the chassis as a heatsink use an isulating washer etc.

Robert G8RPI.

2 volt charger

Hi,

I use a transformer that has steps for 6 voltages from 1.5 to 12 volts.

An example is the following website:

**broken link removed**

or do a search on "12 9 6 volt step transformer price". I found mine at an electronics parts store.

Mine has a limit of 1 Amp. I monitor current with an analog meter I got at an electronics store. Also I monitor voltage. By selecting different steps on the transformer I can do a rapid charge (up to 1 Amp) or a trickle charge. The specifics depend on the specs for the battery.

The cheapest & efficient way is Robert G8RPIs method.The constant voltage type is good for me to charge SLA batteries.I have a similar charger to charge the SLA batteries using this voltage regulator IC.It gave me good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…