Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 stage voltage converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndless

I am new to working with circuits.... and I find myself over my head on this project...

I am working on emergency radio communications box... In the box will be a 24V lithium Ion battery pack... but the radio requires a constant voltage of 13.8v +/- 10%

There are 3 levels of current demand from the radio...

1) idle - 450 mA
2) max audio only - 1A
3) transmitting - 10A

So, the circuit needs to sence the current demand and adjust the resistance to allow for a relatively constant voltage.

The input voltage could vary... between 18, 24 or 36 volts... but I can deal with that with 3 seperate independant circuits, once I understand the basic approach...

So... is there a simple approach to how this could be accomplished?

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!!!

For maximum battery life, your best choice is a switching regulator to generate the 13.8V. They generally have 80-90% efficiency. Dropping the voltage through a resistor or a linear regulator will give you only about 57% efficiency and you would be wasting over 100W (which would have to be dissipated in some manner) when transmitting.

A Google search should turn up many manufacturers that build such units. I don't recommend trying to build one yourself unless you are quite familiar with electronics.

Last edited:
A switcher can supply a constant 13.8V over from 18V to 36V input.

Don't use a linear, if you do, you might as well use a cheaper 12V lead acid battery which will last as long as the expensive Li-ion battery runing a linear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back