3-volt led circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

buyhigh2

I am building a pinewood derby car and wanted to use led's for the 2 headlights and 4 tail lights. I need it to run on 3volts. Your help would be greatly appreciated

You could wire two bright white LED's in parallel on one coin cell for the headlights, and two RED led's for the tail lights, just carve a small wooden mask to make each single LED look like two smaller ones.

Small red LEDs are available: www.mouser.com part number859-ltl-709e, 20 cents each. You will need a 100 ohm resistor in series with each LED if you use a 3 volt cell.

Small red LEDs are available: www.mouser.com part number859-ltl-709e, 20 cents each. You will need a 100 ohm resistor in series with each LED if you use a 3 volt cell.

My son and I built a school bus that used two flashing red leds. It was real hit with the other boys, won a special prise for "Most Inovative", but not a winner on the track! Anyway, if I were to do it again, it'd be easier to simply drill tiny holes and run fiber optic cable and flatten the ends with a solder pencil to broaden the look/light. Then you could simply use 1 white led and run the necessary colored fiber wire. You can buy various colored fiber wires for cheap at archery pro shops. Finally, keep the battery low and towards the back of the car. Weight should be placed close to the rear axle for best performance.... and use powdered graphite lube on the wheels if your pack allows. I polished the nails to a mirror shine and that allows the wheels to spin for several seconds longer than normal.

Most white LEDs need a voltage higher than 3.0V. 3.3V and 3.6V are common.

audioguru said:
Most white LEDs need a voltage higher than 3.0V. 3.3V and 3.6V are common.

Very true, and to my knowledge the best white on the market is not in the hobbyist market yet.

www.aopled.com has a non-phosphor white triple die 360 deg the puts out 800mcd at 20mA. Last I spoke with them they were $0.50 each in a bag of 250.

**broken link removed**

They also have regular non-phosphor whites as well as phosphor ones.

D.

I saw some Chinese writing on the webpages of American Opto.
Are they a Chinese company or are they just an importer?

audioguru said:
I saw some Chinese writing on the webpages of American Opto.
Are they a Chinese company or are they just an importer?

They are the American arm of a Taiwanese company that manufactures in China.

D.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Sounds like a fine recipe for a quailty product!

The parts are actually very impressive. And no phosphor aging so the actually get the 100K life of the LED instead of the 20-30K life of a phosphor.

D.

I think it would be very cool if you could get three chip RGB LEDs (with all the chip connected in series) in a diffused package (to mix the colours properly), the only disadvantage would be the high foward voltage of 7.7V but it would be no problem using a Joule thief or if you ran it from a 12V source.

The forward voltage drop of R G and B led's are different, you can't place them in series naturally like that, it would require too much precision in manufactoring. Sure it could be done but at a price 10 times above a single 'white' LED appropriatly filtered.

In order to get white you would need to tweek the currents for the three die such that the candela outputs are the same taking into account the forward voltage of each die, the peak current of each die, and the package max power rating.

Having done exactly this for my job, I can warn you not to be surprised to see the red resistor being 4x the blue. You might have seen it in a health club since the Cybex displays with the multicolor heart are my work, or derivatives of it.

The reason is that the blue and green run at 3.5V with the green putting out twice as much light (well as far as we are concerned, since the eye is most sensitive to green - it is good for us that the candela is a measure of the eye's response ). The red runs at half the voltage while putting out as much light as the green.

D.

I was depressed when I started looking at the readily available RGB prices. I did find this little gem though: SSP-01TWB9WB12. $1.60 in single piece qty from Digikey... and it's based!

D.

Attachments

• SSP-01TWB9WB12.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…