Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 second 'slow on' circuit

AGCB

I'm trying to build a soft start circuit for an electric clutch (riding mower type). So far, I can only get about 1 second or less to full power. I tried this circuit less the Zener and LED.
Voltage is 12 volts DC, load is 5 amps and using a IRFZ48N transistor.
I've increased the capacitor to 15,000 and played with resistors but nothing seems to help much.

I know I could do it with a MCU (and have) but would like to keep it simple if possible.

Would appreciate if someone could point me to a solution.

Thanks
Aaron

Karklebapper 's linear driver uses a voltage doubler to boost the gate voltage following the source.
The FET reaches 24W on startup until Vout reaches 12V.
The clutch load could be 2 ohms but in series with a large inductance if it draws 6 Amps steady state.
The inverter may be eliminated by swapping the inputs on the LM339.
This does not satisfy the 5 s ramp expectation.

1721927537867.png

Crutchow's PWM solution is a better way to go.

However a 5 second clutch is a curious requirement to me.

There are some interesting conversion kit video's with some critical mechanical requirements.

I suspect the coil R/L ratio is over 50.

Last edited:
I will not argue about peak power in the FET in my design. Other than to say that PWMing the load will not work with a wide variety of loads. My circuit is more of a general recommendation which can work with a wide variety of loads. I did not attempt to set the soft start time to 5 seconds, but the ramp time can be slowed several ways:
1) Slowing the oscillator.
2) Smaller value for C3.
3) Larger value for C5.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back