Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 oneshot woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iowa Tom

I have rigged up a standard 555 monostable set to have a one second high output. I want it to be triggered by a low frequency square wave produced by another 555 in the same circuit. I am running the square wave to the oneshot through a small disc capacitor (uF unknown). The problem is the 555 oneshot stays on the whole time the output of the first 555 is low, for a while. Then after a few cycles of the square wave the 555 oneshot output goes low (the LED hooked up to GND shuts off).

I have pin 5 routed to GND through a small disc capacitor with the hopes of quelling any noise interference. Pin 4 is connected to VCC (+9V).

Any help with how to hook up a one shot that is indeed a "one" shot will be greatly appreciated. I don't have to use a 555 if another IC would work better.

What I need is a circuit that will trigger once on for 1 second no matter how long the input trigger signal is low. I do want the oneshot to trigger "on" again on the next low part of the low frequency cycle of the signal input however.

I am using the CMOS version of the 555 chip.

Thanks!

Do you have a pull-up resistor on pin 2 of the chip you are trying to trigger?
JB

The 1/2 cycle time of the first 555 neads to be longer than 1 second. A rule of thumb is the time constant of the coupling capacitor between the two 555's and the pull-up resistor on pin 2 of the 555 one-shot is 1/10 the time of the first 555.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back