Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 Timer Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hi. In this image is the so-called standard 555 timer astable circuit.
**broken link removed**

THe diode is not there when the duty cycle is >50% (charges up through R1+R2 and discharges through just R2), and the diode is there when the duty cycle is less than 50% (charges up through R1 and discharges through R1+R2).

I've seen this basic circuit used a lot at least in tutorials, etc. Never ever have I seen a version where the + capacitor node is attached to both
+Vs through a charge resistor
and to DISCHARGE through a discharge resistor

Why on earth isn't this the basic astable circuit? It would allow for independent control of the on-time and off-time wouldn't it? Why is the basic astable circuit limited to >50% duty cycle unless there is a diode? Why does everyone (or all the tutorials at least) insist on using R2 for both charge and discharge, and then placing a diode across it when they need <50% duty cycle (and also introducing an error due to the diode voltage drop) when they could just change the position of on resistor? It's silly isn't it?

I also saw a circuit for 50% duty cycle where neither discharge or +Vs are connected to the capacitor. Instead, the capacitor is charged/discharged through a single resistor using OUTPUT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back