Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V to 250V DC/DC Converter Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

4pyros

Most Helpful Member
I have a pyro firing system that used a 9V to 250V DC/DC converter model to charge a cap that gets discharged into electricl matches.
The model has gone bad and I cant seem to find a replacment one thru the usual suspects.
Has anyone seen one of these models off the shelf?

No but I did say it charges a cap. So it should not need that much power.

You failed to mention power or output current: **broken link removed**

They seem to have one that mite work (12VV400S)
and say thay will ship qtys of one. I will give them a call.

But I dont think I should run a proportional converter off a battery.
Maybe what I am looking for is a charge pump?

Last edited:
Some hobbyists have used camera flashes.
Problum is that they take to long to charge and are not sealed.
This thing may get wet and cold.

Have you considered using a model CDI ignition? They operate well from 4.8 V, but could be modified to use a 9V cell. Firing is usually by an SCR.

If you think that might work for you, I can dig out and post a bunch of links. There is one thread going on here (ETO) right now.

Here's that current thread: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...effect-sensor-for-electronic-ignition.128147/

The capacitors are usually charged to between 250 and 350V. Charge rate is sufficient for 10K rpm, which will set off a lot of fireworks in an hour.

John

Last edited:
Have you considered using a model CDI ignition? They operate well from 4.8 V, but could be modified to use a 9V cell. Firing is usually by an SCR.

If you think that might work for you, I can dig out and post a bunch of links. There is one thread going on here (ETO) right now.

Here's that current thread: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...effect-sensor-for-electronic-ignition.128147/

The capacitors are usually charged to between 250 and 350V. Charge rate is sufficient for 10K rpm, which will set off a lot of fireworks in an hour.

John

It mite be a bit heavy and big but I am interested.

Heavy and big? The oscillator/HV coils are quite small -- smaller than the coils in a CFL base. It is typically wound on a toroid with 200 to 400 turns for the HV secondary. The primary and feedback windings are less than 30 turns each. The finished coil is about 3/4" O.D. X 3/8" high. Some people make them even smaller. CFL transformers can be used as can commercial transformers.

Here is a reverse engineered schematic of a popular, non-MCU ignitio from China:
Chinese.png

This compares the Chinese design to an American design that is currently out of production:
Comparison.png

You probably wont be using a Hall sensor for your trigger; a simple momentary switch will work. The HV (spark) coil can be whatever you want it to be.

Just what are your size limitations? What is the maximum box size it needs to fit into?

John

Heavy and big? The oscillator/HV coils are quite small -- smaller than the coils in a CFL base. It is typically wound on a toroid with 200 to 400 turns for the HV secondary. The primary and feedback windings are less than 30 turns each. The finished coil is about 3/4" O.D. X 3/8" high. Some people make them even smaller. CFL transformers can be used as can commercial transformers.

Here is a reverse engineered schematic of a popular, non-MCU ignitio from China:
View attachment 69448

This compares the Chinese design to an American design that is currently out of production:
View attachment 69449

You probably wont be using a Hall sensor for your trigger; a simple momentary switch will work. The HV (spark) coil can be whatever you want it to be.

Just what are your size limitations? What is the maximum box size it needs to fit into?

John

Sorry I was thinking like the coil in my car.
Thanks for the info. I am going to keep it on the back burner for now.
I see some replacments on ebay now.

The DC/DC model that is in the box now is made buy Tri-Mag.
The part number is 200ZDCQ88239.
They dont list the number on there web site, I guess its to old.
I know it runs off a 9 volt battery and the advertized output of the system is 250 volts.
Looking at Tri-Mags line up I would guess it is rated at around 20ma.

Would anyone have a good spec sheet for this or recommend a good replacment.

I see some on e-bay now for $125, am going to ask if they have the spec's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back