Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A ferrite core & 6' of 24AWG enameled wire

ThomsCircuit

I'm making this flasher circuit. It's supposed to flash an LED for a decade. As per the instructions I am to wrap 6' of enameled wire around a 1/2" ferrite core. I would like to know if I did this correctly. Afterwards I tested the ends for continuity. They were good.

------------------------------
I just made one of these for the first time. I just want to know if I did it correctly.
Its a 1/2" core and I folded 6' of wire in half then proceeded to wind it around the core. It was enough wire that it wrapped around the core 2 1/2 times. I then sniped the wire so I had 4 poles and tested continuity.
------------------------------

20240503_225150.jpg
20240503_232945.jpg

schematic2.png
flasher10year-3d.png

Attachments

• schematic2.png
    schematic2.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The winding looks OK, but I have no idea if it will work.. There are many grades of material used to make toroidal cores, with wildly different characteristics.
Oh geez. I should just stick to cooking. Its not much easier but at least I can eat my mistakes. My doctor says I could use more iron. :joyful:
Seriously, with the info you provided I located a thread where someone purchased the exact same cores. The thread confirmed the green colored cores are, based on info from a manufactures datasheet, the same composition as the grey/black cores. He performed a few tests and concluded that they behaved like ferrite. Which is what the author of the 10 year flasher I am trying to re-create called for. He, the author, referred to the core as a transformer providing a few images of how to wind it. My finished core looks like his. I just wanted to get an opinion on my work. And I do thank you.

core.jpg

I suspect ten years is a wild exaggeration :D

It's well past the shelf live of a Duracell battery, and 'modern' AA Duracells are VERY, VERY prone to leakage and corrosion.

Obviously they changed their manufacture years back, as the older ones NEVER leaked, but anything remotely modern is absolutely crap.

A member "AnalogKid" made a chaser circuit that works off a single battery for a few years. I ran into it awhile ago. I'll try to locate it.
EDIT:
It was "AudioGuru" 5 year chaser

Last edited:
As I said, ten years exceeds the shelf life of the 'very prone to corrosion' battery.
OK, understood. So its makes no big difference of what direction it is wound or how many times I go around the coil? In this example I wrapped the core 2.5 times with wire.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back