Advice on hacking my SportCount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbrailsford

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a SportCount lap counter to help track my swimming sessions (SportCount - Lap Counters Heart Rate Monitors Stopwatches MP3 Players and Radios). A feature I'd really love for it to do is when you press the button to record a lap, have it vibrate so that I can tell the button has been pressed without having to look.

The back of the item is transparent, so I can see there is a tiny bit of space free that could house a tiny vibrator motor, so I'm contemplating hacking it to add one.

The thing runs off a 3v CR1216 cell battery, so my idea is to drop in something like this (**broken link removed**) into the space available an try and hook it up to the button so that it vibrates whenever the button is down.

My electronics skills are quite basic, so I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice on hooking it up to the existing button, without affecting it's current function? I obviously don't want to just push the direct current through the button and fry the device.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

You need to measure the button output voltage (to battery common) when the button is open and when it is depressed. From that you can determine what is needed to drive the vibrator. Likely a transistor controlled by the button to drive the vibrator would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…