Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

airplane wing leveler question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick64

Sitting around the hanger and discussing the possibility of somehow using
off-the-shelf electronic/computer components or gadgits for semi-automatic wing leveling on lightly loaded, short wingspans.

Not being computer guys, the current thought is that something should be out there that is available cheaply and modifiable to use a simple wing
leveler.

Having heard someplace that automotive computers, as an example, sense data millions of times leads us to believe that sensing the wing tip initial movement and counteracting very very quickly would be a good thing.

As an example: One fellow pictured a rolling ball bearing inside a tube
somehow activating a magnetic switch which in turn pulses a dc linear motor to operate the aileron minutely. Consensus was this was old tsch and impractical.

We are not sure how to detect the very earliest initial wing tip movement or drive the small trim type motor and would appreciate some thoughts or site recommendations to investigate.

Jst old guys needing smarter people's help <G>.

Thanks, Dick64

Actually only interested in the "roll" aspect of the autopilot. As pilots, we are aware of autopilots but were looking touse something substantially cheaper and less expansive capability-wise. We thought if people can hack and transform comon elctronic stuff, it might be both fun and benificial to work on a "wing levering device" for our small, experimental, single seat , homebuilt airplanes.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an accelerometer and generally how does it work?

Thanks, dick64

it is called a closed-loop around the gyroscope

The problem here ,as I see it _ is not the detection of wing tip motion,(that in itself is relatively simple) with the proper transducer ! I'm thinking here of something on the lines of Piezo Electric Bimorph's bonded maybe, to the
wing superstructure. However,--you then have to convert
the electrical signal into digital form in order to drive whatever actuator--motor etc you have in mind. ------NO MEAN FEAT!!!!!
Sorry lads I don't think this one is for the bits and bobs in the junk box.r
i

I hope yours will work better !!

:lol:

Attachments

• autopilot2.jpg
    autopilot2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 758
Next time, listen to me...!

I've told you Dick! The correction required was negative, no postive! See what you did? What you will tell Mom now?

No more planes for you this year. Back to your bike!

Agustín Tomás

Perhaps you could find something

The fast ferries I know (called by Australians, "piercing wave ferries") use two flaps in the aft to stabilize them taking into account sea condition and instantaneous list (side inclination).

They receive feedback (3 axis) from acelerometers and the micro in charge drives them through an actuator which moves the flaps amazingly (and dangerouly) fast. If it happens that yo are in the housing and the actuator moves, in a split second you're history.

To sense the actual postion of the flap LVDT sensors are used.

The actuator's brand was something like Celesco or sounded like that, if I recall properly.

Agustín Tomás

Dick64 , this wing levering device .. when would it be used ? I mean can you give an example of when it would be needed? and why..?
also how much power is available on your experimental plane? ie Electrical power.. what is your generator putting out..this will help us to help you devise a system..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back