Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternate circuits automatically (Using 555?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluegoo26

Hi. I am relatively new to this kind of circuitry, but here's my problem:

Goal: Have circuit A closed for a set amount of time (say .3 sec), then have circuit B closed for a set amount of time (say .3 sec), alternating back and forth without using a microcontroller. Conceptually, something that can cause one LED to blink alternately with another.

Info: Will be running off 9V DC. I have a couple 555 Timers if this helps. Cost is an issue and I have basic components at my disposal. I would ideally like the full 9V to be sent through.

Any ideas are appreciated. The less technical the language, the more helpful I will probably find it. Thanks!

Do you just want 2 alternating LEDs? A 555 is perfect for that. Quite easy too. Google 555 timer and you will find out more then you need to know to acomplish this.

I made the "test circuit" under Astable circuits here: **broken link removed**, and it appears to work as an A/B/A/B constant toggle if I put a 2nd LED between pin 1 and ground. 2 questions, though:

1) Was this the best place to put my 2nd LED?
2) It is far too fast. I tried replacing the 1uF Capacitor with a .1 Disc Capacitor and they both appeared to just be solidly on. Changing the resistors as they say doesn't seem to be able to slow down the switching either. Any ideas?

Thank you.

you can put one led and resistor between the + voltage and pin 3 and the other led and resistor between pin3 and ground (- voltage)

you changed the capacitor in the wrong size direction the led still go on and off but to quick so it apears continius on change the capacitor to a size of 10:mu: or higher and play some with the resistors and it should work

sucsess
Robert-Jan

I've never understood why some insist on drawing this circuit in such a silly way.
**broken link removed**
Here's how it should be drawn.
t-flash2-gif.17169

Attachments

• t-flash2.gif
    t-flash2.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 316
Aha. I put in 10uF and put my 2nd LED on pin 3 in the opposite direction and the results are great. Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back