Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternate switching for 220v 12w pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

martink

Hi, I would like to do a project that will enable me to switch 2 small pumps on and off alternately every 30 seconds or so and was wondering how easy or difficult this would be.
I don't have any electronics design experience but have previously followed plans to assemble small projects.

I would be really grateful for any help with some design ideas of how I can do this. If it is possible, I would like to have a variable timer for the switching but don't mind if it is a fixed time interval between 30 seconds to 1 minute or maybe a little more.

The pumps are mains operated and 12 watts each.
Many thanks.

What are your pumps for??

Alec; Ya sounds like it could be the same thing as Salty's.

Haha, as soon as you mentioned someone called Salty, I figured it would be for a similar thing.
Indeed I want to place a powerhead/pump at each end of an aquarium and switch them alternately to create a changing water flow.
So, one pump on for a set period of time while the other one is off then switch them the other way round and repeat.

You could probably find an off-the-shelf solution for that simple timing requirement, but if you really want a home-brew solution then a mod of the 'Salty setup' should do it.

Thanks Alec, think I will investigate an off the shelf solution. Looks like Salty'sproject is quite complex and possibly not cheap to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back