Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ammeter for Standby Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwnetsource

I would like to measure/monitor the current draw from my 12kw standby generator. I know I can buy a clamp-on ammeter, but this wouldn't be any fun. I'd like to build it and wire this in as a permanent installation.

My plan was to use a donut current transformer (CT) wired to a digital panel LED.

Initially, I thought this would be simple, wire the CT directly to the LED panel meter. Problem is I'm having trouble finding a stand-alone LED panel meter.

Then, as I look for a CT, I find that I can buy them for the following output types; 0-5V AC, 0-10V AC, and 4-20mA.

MAYDAY MAYDAY

Pg. 1994 of the Mouser Electronics catalog (www.mouser.com) shows Datel 3 1/2 digit panel meters that will measure 100A AC which should be appropriate for your 12kW generator. They sell them either with built-in current transformers or external transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back