Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amp project

Status
Not open for further replies.

andynerd

I wanted to build a VERY simple amp that takes the music from the headphone plug and output it to 1W 8ohm speakers. Oh and i was planning on powering it with a 9v battery. I am to poor to buy any kind of IC so thats out of the question too.

Note: this is just a little something i am doing to wrap my mind around this for my main project
either:
1. a serial controled amp/synth controlled by a Game boy advance(had a spare one) with a home made rom

2. Or put an amp and a bunch of speakers in my backpack or something. Still thinking of a power supply but i was thinking of a home made one from the 6, 18v drill batteries I have but how would i charge them XD

I know that you say any IC is too expensive. An LM386 is less than 30 cents U.S. (That's only like $.12 Canadian these days :D )

**broken link removed**

To buy the transistors you need will end up being a few pennies, but with all the biasing resistors you'll need the price will end up similar.

And the LM386 is almost as simple as it gets. You can order LM386N-4 from National and get 1W at 8:eek:hm: . That's at somewhere around 10% distortion.

-Mike

I agree. The 9V battery is way more expensive than the IC you need. You also need to budget for resistors, capacitors, a battery clip, solder, board, and probably an enclosure of some kind. The cost of the IC should not be a factor, as it will make it far easier to design and build your project.

A simple starting point might be the Ruby: http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

If you run into any problems ask away!

Good luck,

Torben

sorry i said that wrong what i meant was that their isn't any vendors of them locally an i would have to buy online but I am 100% not allowed under any circumstance to buy things online.

ok there i live in port hope and believe me i would buy things on the internet but my parents are paranoid about that

andynerd said:
ok there i live in port hope and believe me i would buy things on the internet but my parents are paranoid about that
Andy, you're obviously a kid, so I'll cut you some slack. You need to realize that Port Hope is not a name that has instant recognition, like New York, or Paris, or...
If I told you I lived in Lompoc, would you know what country I live in? I looked Port Hope up on Google, but we shouldn't need to do that. If you're going to post your location, add "Ontario" to it.:D

andynerd said:

You can get the Digikey catalog (just sign up for it at digikey.ca). It's a great big honkin' thing and it's free. Then use the old-fashioned order form to order your parts. It's slower and not really any more secure than ordering from them over the net but if your folks are really that freaked about it, you might have to.

Or hop on a bike and go the 6 or so kilometers down the road to The Source in Cobourg. :) They might have an LM386 in stock. I don't think most of the ones around here do.

Torben

oh ya i go to the source all the time in cobourg (just got a new comp for my b-day there) but no they don't i look through the entire store but nothing XD and it isn't the giving the address it is more creditcard that bugs them so thats why i have to use my paypal that my parents don't know about :p and well i only have 1$ on it all earned on the internet XD but ya thats why i am poor i need to find a way to make an ok amount of money on the internet someway (legal) because i am shure as anything not going to get a part time job i would rather start my own business or website but i am not creative enough and all i know how to do is a small amount of html and java. XD anywho ok thats fine ya well lets start with my other project what would you think is better my project idea 1 or 2?

The kids on my street made a fortune last recent winter by shovelling snow from sidewalks and driveways. Port Hope got twice or more snow than me.

Radioshack used to sell electronics parts. After The Source bought the Canadian RadioShack stores, now they just sell cheap stereos, cell phones and toys.

Or hop on a bike and go the 6 or so kilometers down the road to The Source in Cobourg.

you know with the nice warm weather it would be nice to take a bike ride by the fields. Oh and i was wondering is the port hope uranium conversion plant (think thats what it is called) the only in ontario or canada? just curious.

In the US here radioshack started selling parallax sensor stuff :eek:! I asked the guys there (they know me by name) and they said that they are actually making a killing because they go with the WAM kit.

anyone know a reliable and large seller of circuitry parts? that has cheap shiping to Canada? or at least ships to Canada (worst comes to worst i should prolly get them cheap of some japan company ahahXD)

If you ever come into Toronto; Creatron Inc has scads of electronics stuff at good prices. Active surplus on Queen is another cheap & cheerful electronics surplus store.

digikey.ca is your best mail order bet in Canada. A $1 won't buy much anywhere though.

andynerd said:
oh i know that, thats why i need to find a way to make money XD
You missed shovelling snow.
Maybe you can dig weeds from grass and gardens?
Mow grass?
Collect fallen leaves?
Wash cars?
Walk dogs?
Talk to lonely old ladies?
Go food shopping for old ladies?

My daughter operated a franchise cleaning windows when she had breaks from university. She made a small fortune. I helped a few times.
Now she has invested in real estate. I helped many times. My son too.

One time I drove to an old drive-in movie on Sunday morning. I collected hundreds of beer bottles that were worth a small fortune.
Then I went to a park and got more.

It is easy to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back