Amplifying a Small Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resistor10k

Hello All,

Here is the issue. I need to amplify in the simplest and cheapest way a voltage drop across a presicion resistor of 5mΩ. There are different current levels that can run across that precision resisitor that I want be able to distinguish from each other: 0amps, 1.5amps, and 3.5 amps. So, they will give me 0volts, 7.5mV and 17.5mV repectively. Extra details: I have a single supply font of 12V. So My circuit is made of:
Bat(12V)---------(precision Res 5m)---------Load------GND.

I wanted to use two opamps to subtract/amplify (lm358) in the configuration attached as shown in the datasheet. But I ran into two problems.
Problem 1. ( guys, correct if i am wrong ) - Since i was feeding both the lm358 and my circuit with 12volts, the opamp wasn't biased in a linear region so i couldn't get anything to work. To solve that I try to things: 1. add a voltage dividor on both ends of the precison resistor, but my voltage drop ( which is already very small ) was divided by two; 2. added a resistor and a 5.1 zener to subtract the voltage, but the circuit wasn't fast enough.
Problem 2. the voltage drop is too small, very close to the offset of the lm358.

Is there some way to do that precisely?

Thanks to all in advance.

Attachments

• op.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 414

hi,
If I follow your description, you have the Rsense resistor in the 'high' side of the load.??
The LM358 will not work when the inputs are close to the supply voltage.

Can you relocate the Rsense in the low side of the load.??

Last edited:
hi,
This is one option, the V2 voltage source is the 0 thru 20mV shunt signal.

The LM358 OPA will not give an output close to 0V, there is always an offset when using a single supply.

A CA3140 will give a an output close to zero, approx [10mV to 25mV]

Attachments

• LM358Sense1.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
The LM358 will operate down to the negative supply, but not up to the positive supply.

Try re configuring your circuit as per the attached sketch.

JimB

Attachments

• OP Amp and current sense resistor.PNG
    25.5 KB · Views: 970

i would suggest an amplifier with 10X less input offset than what you want to measure. in your case it would be 0.7mV MAX ... here is a reasonably priced one...

Attachments

• opa330.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 382
Nice op amp but it won't run on 12 volts. "Since i was feeding both the lm358 and my circuit with 12volts"

Nice op amp but it won't run on 12 volts. "Since i was feeding both the lm358 and my circuit with 12volts"

you would be better off using an ultra modern opamp with a zener regulator to gain up the signal and a collector base junction to reflect it into a low side sense resistor at whatever level your ADC requires if you are sensing high side.

besides you cant use crappy 35 year old technology ( I was using the military version of that part 25 years ago and it was old then: LM158A/883) and expect accuracy (you are trying to measure a 7mV signal with a +/-5mV max input offset that varies an unspecified amount (40uV/C if we assume double the "A" version) over temperature. At double the "A" version input offset temperature coefficient that makes your opamp contribution 0.2A/C!

for the typical temco of 7uV/C if your room changes 10 degrees, your "current" will change 0.35A. what it boils down to is that you need a bigger resistor or a better opamp!

Resistor,
He is right about 1 thing: A larger sense resistor would reduce your error from a total of 5% at the low current.

Resistor,
He is right about 1 thing: A larger sense resistor would reduce your error from a total of 5% at the low current.

really? last i knew the TYPICAL input offset voltage of 2mV was 11% of 17mV and almost 30% of 7.5mV! would you care to correct my BASIC MATH???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…