Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJammin

Is there any circuit system where the voltage vs. time function is 1/x; at least after the first few milliseconds(I don't need the part of the function that goes to infinity). The only function close to this that I can think of is that of a discharging capacitor which is k*e^(-t/RC).

An integrator?

I don't really understand what you're talking about.

A capacitor discharging through a constant current circuit will give a voltage across the capacitor which varies as 1/t (within appropriate limits).

JimB

Use an op amp log generator, then a differentiator. So basically you'd be taking the derivative of ln(x), which is 1/x. There are log generator op amp ckts out there, very old-school stuff. Differentiators very basic and common. X would be a voltage that you would ramp from 0 to Vmax that would correspond to time. If I've got my thinking hat on straight.

Thanks for the replies, I think I will take speakerguy's advice and try and find a op-amp circuit that generates a logarithmic function and then differentiate it.
While I'm at it, I might as well explain my project and you can tell me if it seems like it would work. I am attempting to build a bicycle speedometer. I will have a magnet on the bike wheel and a sensor that pulses on each pass of the magnet. The length before the pulses tells me the elapsed time and the velocity can be calculated from that. Since v=d/t, velocity is inversely proportionate to time, I needed a analog circuit that produced such a relationship. The analog voltage from that circuit is run through a analog-to-digital converter and run to a digital display.
That's the general description, but I'm struggling to find a op-amp log generator circuit that is not too monstrous.

MrJammin said:
While I'm at it, I might as well explain my project and you can tell me if it seems like it would work. I am attempting to build a bicycle speedometer. I will have a magnet on the bike wheel and a sensor that pulses on each pass of the magnet. The length before the pulses tells me the elapsed time and the velocity can be calculated from that. Since v=d/t, velocity is inversely proportionate to time, I needed a analog circuit that produced such a relationship. The analog voltage from that circuit is run through a analog-to-digital converter and run to a digital display.
That's the general description, but I'm struggling to find a op-amp log generator circuit that is not too monstrous.

As you are going to use an ADC, a digital display and require some method of applying a timed period, why dont you use a PIC.
Count the interval between the magnet/coil pulses, using the PIC, over a known time period, using the PIC
and drive the digital display, using the PIC.

I think your analog approach while interesting, is the hard way to display the bike's speed.

Also all the components for the PIC method are off the shelf, just need a short PIC program.

Your absolutely correct, using a PIC would be significantly easier. I don't have any experience with microprocessors but have started reading about them and will most likely use them in my future projects. However, I kinda like the challenge provided by using a more analog approach and see if I can get it to work on this project.

Couldn't you use a PIC with the pulses sent to the external interrupt trigger pin along with in internal timer to get an instantaneous speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back