Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

This is the artwork for a 900MHZ transmitter using a pre-built RF module. The pins lined up horizontally is where the circuit plugs in. The last pin on the right is the antenna pin. The antenna is a whip antenna. I have quick question:

Did I do it correctly? The datasheet said that there should be a groundplane horizontal to the vertical antenna, which is a piece of wire in this case.

Attachments

• hp3tx1.gif
    hp3tx1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 345
zachtheterrible said:
This is the artwork for a 900MHZ transmitter using a pre-built RF module. The pins lined up horizontally is where the circuit plugs in. The last pin on the right is the antenna pin. The antenna is a whip antenna. I have quick question:

Did I do it correctly? The datasheet said that there should be a groundplane horizontal to the vertical antenna, which is a piece of wire in this case.

Perhaps you might have made the picture somewhat smaller?.

The groundplane refers to a solid sheet of copper on the upper surface of the board, connected through to the ground points on the bottom - so you require a double sided board. However, you don't need to etch the top surface, you can simple countersink the holes where the components pass through.

Sorry about the picture, I realized how large it was after i posted it :lol:

The large portion of copper on the bottom of my board is ground. Wouldn't this count as a groundplane to my antenna?

Your groound plane should be at least 1/4 wavelength. But, Yageo makes a ceramic antenna that does not need a ground plane. Mouser sells it for $7.65. If it works as good as the 433 mHz antenna that I bought, it will be as good or better than a 1/4 wave whip (but I think it is directional).

I don't have room for 1/4 wavelength, that would be 3 inches @ 900 MHZ.

Oh yes, another question: I am using a 1/2 wavelength antenna. I assume there's nothing wrong with that.

The transmitter is no doubt designed to drive 75 ohms, the 1/2 wave antenna, when end driven, is high impedance. You will not have any radiated power. The Yageo antenna will be much smaller than 3 inches, the 433 mHz antenna was no more than 2 1/2 inches long.

Thanks russ, I cut both the transmiter and receiver antennas to 3 inches and have about twice the range! :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
Sorry about the picture, I realized how large it was after i posted it :lol:
Zach, don't you use the preview button? It's particularly useful when you're adding an attachment.

Ron, I believe I've never used the preview button before, I'll have to start :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back