Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any ideas for using Super Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what to do with some capacitors that I have.

They are 220,000uF (0.22F) 5V Super Capacitors, the size of a hearing aid battery (AG 13) with a solder tag on each side.

I have been wracking my brains for a use for these and so far have come up blank, so if you have any ideas on uses, however weird or whacky, let me know :)

BTW I have over 30 of them so, about 7 Farads worth! :D Suppose I could make one long battery! hehehe. Any ideas?

Thanks........Al

I have used some of those on my old technology 5 volt TTL clocks to run them through a powerglitch.

You can make some BEAM robots with em, or you could make a 87.5Joule Coil gun at 5V. Impressive, but would probably take 10 minutes to fully charge :eek:

Super Caps

Build a spot welding machine.

Boncuk

Correct Brian218.

By putting caps in series you reduce the capacity

e.g. 2 x 4.7 F at 2.5 volts in series will give a 2.35 F at 5 volts and double that again yields 1.175 F at 10 volts. (4 caps totoal)

It is good practise to put equalizing resistors across the caps to even up the voltage across them.

Why would you want to explode some super caps? These things are expensive enough as it is, but i guess it wouldnt hurt to spare a few :D

speakerguy79 said:
Do these explode in any cool ways?

IMO ANYTHING that explodes is pretty cool!:D

Plug 'em in with reverse polarity or exceed their voltage rating...I don't think the poor schmuck that blew them up would think it cool, nor would anyone downwind, but it would be a great internet vid.

Exactamundo :)

I've smelled pretty much any semiconductor material out there on fire, as well as a variety of passives, but never a supercap.

:rolleyes: the Electric Huffer!

Hey speaking of explosions I bet these would be great for hydrolizing water (and ignition of course):gtoet:

Krumlink said:
You can make some BEAM robots with em, or you could make a 87.5Joule Coil gun at 5V. Impressive, but would probably take 10 minutes to fully charge :eek:
Sorry to disappoint you but memory backup super capacitors have a huge ESR, often greater than 30:eek:hm: so the discharge would be very slow.

However, the capacitors in the link evilmadscientist.com would be pretty impressive, although they probably have a large leakage current to store the energy for very long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back