Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any such thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunghole

is there any such thing as a voltage amplifier that i can build, i do i have to use a voltage regulator. i have a 12v supply and want to get a higher voltage.
i have a circuit for increasing the current of a regulator (78xx series) but not increasing the voltage. i was thinking of having a LM350K and than a current amplifier after it, but i don't know what the output current after the amplifier will be.

Attachments

• current_amplifier+booster.jpg
    current_amplifier+booster.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 260
a voltage regulator can not give more voltage than that you put into it
so if you want a higher voltage and also with some amps'?
the cheapest way is to get a bigger transformer and go from there

there are some circuits that can double (or even more) your voltage but they power low consumption things

nice example of a voltage booster is the cascade in your TV (if you still have a tube version)

the LM350k is verry usable for a variable power suply but again it's needs more on the input than that it gives out

Robert-Jan

a schematic of the regulator and current amplifier i devised, please check and see if its ok. sorry about the quality, it was only really a quick one. q1 and q2 have B, C, and E to show the pins (right next to the wire), and i want to know if there is a voltage amplifier

Attachments

• lm317t+current_amplifier.jpg
    lm317t+current_amplifier.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 244
have a look at this ;)
the language is dutch but schematic says enough

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• boosting power supply.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 324
rjvh said:
have a look at this ;)
the language is dutch but schematic says enough

Robert-Jan

it looks like diagram No.3 could be a voltage amplifier, but i also found this:

**broken link removed**

i have a 12volt input, and want a 37volt output, so i need a 25volt gain. according to the website, G = 1 + (R2/R1) and values are in ohms
G = gain

i worked out i need R2 to be 48K and R1 to be 2k therefor:

G = 1 + (48,000/2,000) or
25 = 1 + (48,000/2,000)

i will link OUTPUT SIGNAL to Vin of lm317t+current amplifier.jpg and i should have the voltage and current output i require for my situation.

bunghole said:
is there any such thing as a voltage amplifier that i can build, i do i have to use a voltage regulator. i have a 12v supply and want to get a higher voltage.
You need to build a boost converter. A simple transistor one like this one will work:
https://www.romanblack.com/smps/conv.htm
But ones using an IC are better and more efficient:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/mc34063a.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/tps61170.pdf
There are lots of different boost regulators out there. Google for what suits your needs.

Last edited:
bunghole said:
it looks like diagram No.3 could be a voltage amplifier,

no its pure to get more amps out of a regulated power suply as you can see the resistors in line of each regulator are there to balance the power evenly over the regulators

**broken link removed**

this is an amplifier schematic for a sensor signal not a power suply
it needs +9v/-9V power suply which you dont have at this moment and again you canot geting more out as that you put in
that works for an amplifier exacly the same the output signal will stop at the maximum voltage differends of the power suply of the opamp

i have a 12volt input, and want a 37volt output, so i need a 25volt gain. according to the website, G = 1 + (R2/R1) and values are in ohms
G = gain

i worked out i need R2 to be 48K and R1 to be 2k therefor:

G = 1 + (48,000/2,000) or
25 = 1 + (48,000/2,000)

i will link OUTPUT SIGNAL to Vin of lm317t+current amplifier.jpg and i should have the voltage and current output i require for my situation.

what are your requirements???

again you canot getting more out as that you put in that works also for the power
(you can't **** if you don't eat):D
so if you want 100 Watt of power (voltage level X amps) you looking probably of putting 120 Watt in on the suplying side (that's already a good efficiencie rate)

Robert-Jan

this charger!!1 a transistor boost converter connected to the lm317t schematic, but i don't know if the transistor boost converter will convert the voltage from 12v to 17volts, 'cause i can't get a mc34063a or tps61170

in simple:

i need a boost converter to boost 12volts to 37volts okay, this should make it easier if we know where this thread is actually going or what for.

Attachments

• PowerSonicCharger.JPG
    PowerSonicCharger.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
WOW! We will be rich.
Simply use a 741 opamp with its open-loop gain of 200,000 to amplify a 9V battery voltage to 1.8Mega-Volts.

But a 741 opamp with a power supply of 9V will have an output voltage from 1.2V to 7.8V and a current of up to 20mA.
It amplifies a small signal up to 6.6V peak-to-peak when it has a power supply of 9V.

bunghole said:
i have a circuit for increasing the current of a regulator (78xx series) but not increasing the voltage. i was thinking of having a LM350K and than a current amplifier after it, but i don't know what the output current after the amplifier will be.

if i read this than i asume you want to power up somthing
with other words a power supply

Robert-Jan

What is your source of power? A battery?

in simple:

i have a 12vsolar panel and 12volt genarator, i connect those to a voltage booster, and than to and LM317T with a current booster, and that connects to an SLA charger and that connects to a SLA battery. i need the voltage booster and adjustable regulator because the charger requires between 15 and 37 volts. i posted the charger schematic above, along with the LM317T regulator diagram. i get rid of the transformer because i don't need it. along withh the rectifier.

Most "12V" solar panels are rated for 16-18V output. Why not build a charger specifically designed for a solar cell? Same with "12V" generators; they will put out more than 12V. All you need is a max of 14.2V at the battery. Forget about the LM317T, it is the wrong component for this application.

the shematic uses only 1 7812 so the max current is 1.5Amp (if heavily cooled)
input voltage from the transformer is 18 V
a generator has an AC voltage probably a bit moor than 12V (check this and see how much this is in real) rectified
your solar panel suplys also more than 12 V (comecial types also check this) but this supply should be regulated (can be done by a opamp and a FET)
build defenetly some fuses in between the 2 suplys and polarity protection diodes (in case of the solar panel)

Robert-Jan

i am looking for the charge current of 3 to 5 amps, because if i do find a suitable voltage booster and use the lm317 with the current amplifier, i will need it to power the charger

Last edited:
bunghole said:
what about 'the amp'?

forget the amp it is nice for a sensor but for your aplication useles

bunghole said:
i am looking for the charge current of 3 to 5 amps, because if i do find a suitable voltage booster and use the lm317 with the current amplifier, i will need it to power the charger?

make no sense to me

the charger gives flat out not more than 1.5 Amp and i think it's more in the orderof 1 Amp (the 7812 is not capable to give more) and that can be supplyd by your power sources which you want to use

i think of fixing a problem to get the shortest/easyest/cheapest way to solve it

so why you keep holding on things that we explaned already that it can solved more easyer :confused:

Robert-Jan

I Will Power A Battery Charger From A Store Via A 200w Inverter That Is Powered By The Solar Panel/generator. It Is Very Humid Where I Am And I Am Also Completely Buggred/tired!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back