Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any use for a broken hair shaver!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

i have got this hair shaver which broke due to me dropping it. the plastic cover is broken s now it unrepairable can some one give me any idea on how to sue it in some hing else since the motor is lim(i guess). also is the motor inside a hair drier ac or dc. i usually dont feel comfortable working with ac.

Attachments

• broken hair shaver.jpg
    broken hair shaver.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 264
Broken hairshaver

please forward more details about the shaver.

- does it only work with the power cord connected to a wall outlet?
- does it really have a motor or just a vibrator?

e.g. Philishave use small DC-motors and three rotating blades, Braun uses vibrators cycling as fast as the mains frequency.

Boncuk

The linear motor in a shaver is still a motor, about all you can do with it is vibrate things, it runs on your line voltage so they're not excessively useful. The picture looks like a common clipper style shaver. You could crack the case open the rest of the way and pull out the main 'motor' coil, will make a nice high power large value inductor. The head is going to have some decent rare earth magnets.

i have got this hair shaver which broke due to me dropping it. the plastic cover is broken s now it unrepairable can some one give me any idea on how to sue it in some hing else since the motor is lim(i guess). also is the motor inside a hair drier ac or dc. i usually dont feel comfortable working with ac.

Hot glue a scrub pad to that plastic piece, and use it to clean your bathtub.

also is the motor inside a hair drier ac or dc. i usually dont feel comfortable working with ac.
Usually the motor in a hair dryer is a 12 VDC motor. They use the heater as a high wattage voltage divider and tap off 12VAC which they then rectify and apply to the motor.

Last edited:
It's normally simpler than that. The has a bridge rectifier connected to it which is connected in series with the heater.

Interesting. That might work in countries with 220VAC, but in North America that would mean a 12V 13A fan motor for a 1500W hairdryer! It would be interesting to see a woman using such a device. ;)

The fan of the hair dryers I've taken apart use the heater as a voltage divider and provide voltage to the motor from a tap.

Interesting. That might work in countries with 220VAC, but in North America that would mean a 12V 13A fan motor for a 1500W hairdryer! It would be interesting to see a woman using such a device. ;)

Or a 6V 13A motor; it's possible they use the same motor, just with half as many turns with twice ths crossectional ares wire.

Interesting again! Is that the reason why so many women walk around without head in North America? :confused: A 156W fan has enough power to blow off heads. :D

Average hair dryers release just a poop of warm air. Top hair dryers rated 1,500 to 2,000W have a pretty strong air stream which is very hot (burns off hair instead of drying it), but their fans don't either have the power to blow off a head.

Hans

Or a 6V 13A motor;
Everyone but kchriste and I are just guessing ;). I have in my hands a disassembled hair dryer made about 15 years ago for the North American market (OK, I set it down so I could type :D) It is rated 120V, 1200W. The heating element measures 15.4 ohms. There is a tap on the heater approximately 2 ohms from one end. This voltage tap (nominally 18V) is full wave rectified and supplies about 15V to the motor. The motor draws 1A at 12V, a fraction of the 10A flowing through the main heater.

For the low power mode, the hair dryer is supplied through a half-wave rectifier, and the motor runs slower as well.

Last edited:
Everyone but kchriste and I are just guessing ;).
I wasn't, I've actually opened up a hair dryer before and the motor and bridge rectifier was connected in series with the element.

Alright I suppose I was guesing as far as the 120V unit is concerned as I've never opened up a 120V hair dryer.

I have a hot air 'embossing' tool that I use as a basement bargain hot air tool, it's wired as described with the heating wire in series with a 12 volt motor (it runs on 120V AC). I don't remember seeing a diode bridge but all I was doing was removing the one time thermal fuse that blew the first time I blocked the air inlet to get a few extra degrees out of it. The heating element is coiled wire though so I'm not sure how much of it is pure resistance vs reactant current limiting. I really wish the motor was run right off the AC though as I find the worst thermal danger of these things is turning the fan off before the heating element has had a chance to cool. If the fan were left on for 20 seconds without the heating element I could put it away right afterwards. As it is now I have to wait for stagnant air conduction to cool off the element so I have to wait near 20 minutes to put it away. By the way, I would recommend removing the thermal fuse from such a device only at your own risk, you have to be very sure you're not going to melt or short something and start a fire.

You could replace it I suppose.

How would you go about replacing a thermal fuse anyway?

I've tried before on an electric balnket but the problem was it was soldered in and I found it impossible to solder the new one in without blowing it even though I tried using ice to cool it.

You could replace it I suppose.

How would you go about replacing a thermal fuse anyway?

I've tried before on an electric balnket but the problem was it was soldered in and I found it impossible to solder the new one in without blowing it even though I tried using ice to cool it.

They are usually either crimped, or spot welded.

The odd thing is that neither was the case, it was soldered on to a PCB in the temperature control box.

i myself took apart a 2220v braun hair drier(old one) and i didnt find any rectifier. though i did find the heat coil.but i was asonished at the size of the motor cause it was the size of a 12v dc motor!

Well soldering shouldn't take long enough for the heat to travel to the fuse, it should only be a second or two - if that.

Well the heat did travel fast enough for it to blow the fuse when I soldered it, perhaps I was doing something wrong?

The leads were pretty thick so I don't see how it could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back