Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to watch tv on Smart Tv without a cable box?

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split

level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall. Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new

Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free. The only thing I can think

of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?

Yes, you can watch TV on a Smart TV without a cable box. Many Smart TVs come with built-in apps for streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, which only require an internet connection. Additionally, you can use digital antennas to pick up local channels. For high-quality streaming, especially 4K content, consider using (deleted) for your internet connection. Fiber optic cables provide faster and more reliable internet speeds compared to traditional connections, ensuring a smooth and high-quality viewing experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a USB C to HDMI adapter and connect your TV to your IPad. If you have an iPhone, you can remotely control volume and FF on the iPad from the iPhone in case you don't want cables running across the floor.. an iPhone 15pro or most Samsung phones with USB c can also work with an hdmi. For some reason, the regular iPhone 15 cannot do this.

Your story makes no sense to me and does not align with any of my experiences. Nor can your story be confirmed by any evidence online. I guess, I'll assume it is fantasy or a compulsive urge to post on a thread where you have no experience with Samsung Smart TVs and ability to add value to the conversation - I believe it is called Trolling.
Firestick is a valid answer. User Experience (UX) may vary with hardware and setup.

ZZO uses his lack of experience to justify his personal attacks. Bad form.

My preference in the previous decade was to use KODI on an Android box much like Firestick. I still use KODI on Win 7,11 for rare, hard-to-find films & live NHL and PGA, but this requires skill to find which of thousands of addons, channels, and sources go into your faves for easy access.

But in the last decade, I prefer STREMIO for Windows and iOS. {FREE}

There are many addons to select for searches, subtitles and sources using torrents (PB (free) & RD+ (small server fee). I use Trakt Integration for web saving my history on TV series and movies watched. I prefer to disable voting for global ratings. You do not need 1 Gbps internet but 5Mbps min is often all you need. I only need 1080p but there are a lot of 4k sources if you prefer. torrents can be slow to start so RD+ usually starts within 5 seconds. Hard-to-find films depend on global popularity, but we like Scandinavian, EU and Iranian films more than most Hollywood or Bollywood films.

There can be dozens to hundreds of sources: different voices, subtitles, resolutions (GB=EN) pick ones near the top of RD+ if you subscribe then choose your pref. language and resolution, 4k 1080p 720p. The high BW sources might be harder to stream.

"Discover"= Sorting by {Movies, Series, Anime, Channels, Music, TV, Radio, Trakt, Other}

Subsort {Popular, New, Featured, Language, Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV, HULU etc, etc}

Category { Genres ( top, action, adventure, documentary ...}

Search by the director, actor, genre, keywords, with fuzzy spell correction.

It supports Binge Watching: auto next episode

Browser-watching is also possible, but I do not use it, so don't ask. Download for off-web watching on some.

It has many features with some learning curve and choosing the best sources depends on a number indicating how many torrent sources might be available. You do not need to enable the firewall exception rule prompt unless you wish to share what you have watched recently.

Security is fine and no drama, please.

1716990024031.png

https://chatgpt.com/c/a4bd8eaa-5b29-4e25-8f31-2ccca6b9dc19 summary

I've been off cable for over 20 yrs and use HDHomerun for Off-The-Air (OTA), live TV from Toronto to Buffalo and use a few of the > 35 channels.

If you don't know what PB and RD+ are, you aren't web-savvy in the 21st century.

One thing I do not miss and really appreciate.
No Commercials.

Last edited:
All interesting information - especially the bit about Streamio (a video player well suited for watching pirated content from torrents). And still, not an answer to the OPs question based on the limitations the op gave. Keep trying.

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split

level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall. Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new

Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free. The only thing I can think

If you need Verizon set top box support, I presume you have thought about calling Verizon product support.
To solicit support here, can you specify which boxes you have and estimate how many walls a Wifi signal must go thru to reach upstairs as Wifi bounces off walls and can degrade the signal.

Hopefully you have the slave devices called Arris IPC4100 box and maybe purchased on EBay. If so the S/N's must be registered with Customer Service to extend service via your Wifi.

Also cables can often be routed thru furnace air ducts.

ZZO it's called Stremio not Streamio

Last edited:
I'm confused with what the OP is asking.
If they have FIOS, why do they need cable? Do they mean coax cable? Smart TV's only require internet access and don't care about the method used to obtain it. If by "cable", they really mean "internet access" upstairs, then there are lots of ways to get it there. An easy way is to use ethernet "powerline" adapters.

I'm confused with what the OP is asking.
If they have FIOS, why do they need cable? Do they mean coax cable? Smart TV's only require internet access and don't care about the method used to obtain it. If by "cable", they really mean "internet access" upstairs, then there are lots of ways to get it there. An easy way is to use ethernet "powerline" adapters.
They have Fios which is Cable but he doesn't want to run Coax to the kids bedrooms, Fios has an app for android and iOS phones/tablets but there isn't a Fios app for Samsung TVs. He doesn't want to buy more devices (firesticks etc), and he doesn't want more streaming services (Hulu, ...).

They have Fios which is Cable but he doesn't want to run Coax to the kids bedrooms, Fios has an app for android and iOS phones/tablets but there isn't a Fios app for Samsung TVs. He doesn't want to buy more devices (firesticks etc), and he doesn't want more streaming services (Hulu, ...).
o_O
But FIOS is not Cable....FIOS is fiber optic to the premise.

An ONT is placed on premise and used to breakout data and/or voice.
The ONT provides ethernet twisted pair or Coax connections, and is usually connected to a wired or wireless router provided by the ISP.

So...all they really need is (internet) network connectivity in the different rooms.

My question would be what service the "FIOS app" provide, specifically, that they do not have on the Smart tv's? They may not even need the FIOS app. Maybe drop FIOS tv and replace with YouTube Tv.

FIOS is fiber optic to the premise
yes, it is. But Fios (Verizon) also offers a cable streaming service with dedicated set top boxes (or app) to watch Tv (Fios TV).

Like several others, your "solution" advising the OP to scubscribe to alternate streaming services was specifically rejected by the OP as an option. He was asking for alternatives that could use his existing Fios streaming service.

Solutions are always easier when you take the liberty of editing the question.

Reread the first posts of the now-absent OP.

My career would have been so easy of the hard part of problems could be ignored.

yes, it is. But Fios (Verizon) also offers a cable streaming service with dedicated set top boxes (or app) to watch Tv (Fios TV).

Like several others, your "solution" advising the OP to scubscribe to alternate streaming services was specifically rejected by the OP as an option. He was asking for alternatives that could use his existing Fios streaming service.
I'm not suggesting that OP change the FIOS service.

I am suggesting that the OP take a second look at using a different streaming service simply because I don't believe they understand that they can use a streaming service apart from what Verizon provides.

As I've also mentioned to ZZO....

I recommend taking a second look at using a different streaming service. Even though FIOS TV is sold by Verizon, it is separate product and not required to use Verizon FIOS internet service. One TV service that could be more universally supported by your devices and replace FIOS TV is YouTube TV. This is usually supported on most, if not all, smart TV's.

TP-Link Powerline adapters could be used to provide internet (ethernet) connectivity over the house AC power outlets. The kits come in pairs and can be extended to provide ethernet at additional power outlets.

Latest threads

Back