Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone have good circuit for solar power garden light

hhsting

Hi

I have the following landscape light:

Better Homes & Gardens Ellis 20 Lumen Solar Powered LED Outdoor Landscape Path Light - Walmart.com

It comes solar powered. I want to modify it so that it is only powered from plug no solar. I am going to use the following adapter to power the lights. The adapter range goes from 3VDC to 12VDC:

Amazon.com: 30W Universal AC/DC Adapter Switching Power Supply with 8 Selectable Adapter Tips, for 3V to 12V Household Electronics and LED Strip - 2000mA Max : Electronics

I am going to change the led in the landscape light to following which is 3VDC 100ma:

Filament Led White Light Bulbs | Led 8 Pcs Filament | Led Filament 10 Leds - 68mm Dc3v - Aliexpress

I am going to use solar panel that the landscape light comes with as my indicator if its night time or day time to turn lights on or off. I measured and determined from solar panel that at 0.5VDC or below it is dark enough so that the lights should turn on. Above solar panel 0.5VDC lights should be off.

Now my next challenge is to build a circuit that meets below all requirements.

Requirement 1. I want a circuit that constant 3 vdc if I put my adapter at 12VDC or 6VDC then I also want the circuit to output constant 3VDC. I would do 12VDC or 6VDC so I don't have to worry about voltage drop in field. I don't want to do resistor divider for the constant voltage because if future the adapter would not only power landscape light but also other items that are not 3VDC. I just don't know voltages right now.

Requirement 2. Turning lights off 0.5VDC or below and turning lights on 0.5VDC and above. Does anyone know how of good circuit I can build from transistor, resistor, diodes etc which can switch the led landscape light on at 0.5VDC or below and light of at 0.5VDC above?

If you do then can you please post it.

Thanks

You will run into thermal losses and excessive temperature rise in your plan. I suggest you fix that by using a much lower voltage less than 5V with a current limiter and not CV.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back