Anyone use OKi/Metcal at work/home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

We have a Pace MBT350 rework system at work, and it's convinced me I need (personally) some kind of rework station. I find most useful the vacuum desoldering tool, not so much the hot air or tweezers. I don't quite care for the ergonomics/usage of the Pace, and it's pricey enough at $1350 or so.

So I've been looking around, and I am pondering the OKi MFR series. It's $850 or so depending on handpieces/tweezers/whatever else you get.

Upsides: Cheaper. Only has what I want/need. Simple operation.

Downsides: Fixed temperature tips. May not be an issue if that smartheat technology actually works.

I guess I'm soliciting advice from people who have used either or both of these pieces at work (the only reason I am considering one for myself is for a side business I'm contemplating). So if anyone has any opinions, I'm all ears!

We have a MetCal at work. The model escapes me at the moment. They work really well and seem pretty durable. As you've figured out, the downside of the MetCal is that the tips are very expensive because each tip has it's own heater element in it.
One thing I have found annoying about the vacuum desoldering tool is that solder balls can get caught in the contacts for the heater element when changing tips if the solder chamber isn't cleaned before a change of tips. Also, you need compressed air for the venturi vacuum system to work. But it works well.
The tweezers are really handy for removing SMD components.
EDIT: It's the MX-500 MetCal that we have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…