Anyone want to play "Name that Resistor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was just my eyes there - I also read them as 2.7M 10% - though I didn't notice the apparent blue band.

and with better lighting. camera sensors act funny color wise when everything is in the shadows like the pic you took. also the compression algorithm averages and predicts pixel values, which in this case seems to have turned the black stripes and some black areas into green.
Code:
Before DEFLATE is applied, the data is precompressed, via a prediction method: a single filter method is used for the entire image, while for each image line, a filter type is chosen that transforms the data so that it is hopefully more easily compressed.[13]

There is only one filter method in the current PNG specification (denoted method 0), and thus in practice the only choice is which filter type to apply to each line. For this method, the filter predicts the value of each pixel based on the values of previous neighboring pixels, and subtracts the predicted color of the pixel from the actual value, as in DPCM. An image line filtered in this way is often more compressible than the raw image line would be, especially if it is similar to the line above, since the differences from prediction will generally be clustered around 0, rather than spread over all possible image values. This is particularly important in relating separate rows, since DEFLATE has no understanding that an image is a 2D entity, and instead just sees the image data as a stream of bytes.

There are five filter types for filter method 0; each type predicts the value of each byte (of the image data before filtering) based on the corresponding byte of the pixel to the left (A), above (B), above and to the left (C) or some combination thereof, and encodes the difference between the predicted value and the actual value. Filters are applied to byte values, not pixels; pixel values may be one or two bytes, or several values per byte, but never cross byte boundaries. The filter types are:[14]
Type byte 	Filter name 	Predicted value
0 	None 	Zero (so that the raw byte value passes through unaltered)
1 	Sub 	Byte A (to the left)
2 	Up 	Byte B (above)
3 	Average 	Mean of bytes A and B, rounded down
4 	Paeth 	A, B, or C, whichever is closest to p = A + B − C

Hi again,

throbscottle:
Yes 2.7M sounds reasonable, but someone said that the blue band was for high precision.
Also, it is at least a 1 watt power resistor so it would take 1162 volts to produce
1/2 watt in that thing, so it would have to be a fairly high voltage product.

unclejed:
That makes sense, as i have seen that jpg pictures often darken colors like red.

So what we need here is more pictures

Many Oriental resistors have color bands painted wobbly and with various widths by hand. The colors are also bad.

Hi,

From what i heard they mount a resistor at the center of the room and have a chair that rotates around the resistor. They hold the brush still while the chair and operator rotates around the resistor holding a brush against the resistor body. They switch brush colors with each rotation <big chuckle>.

Another company just paints stripes on the floor of different colors and the operator rolls the resistor along the floor as it picks up the various colors as bands <second big chuckle>

Seriously though i'd really like to see more pics and i think others would too as this would really help figure this out for sure. So to the OP, please post more pics from various angles.

When they run out of a color of paint then they substitute red with brown or yellow.
Frequently the paint is so watered-down that the color is wrong anyway.

I thought it was just my eyes there - I also read them as 2.7M 10% - though I didn't notice the apparent blue band.

I agree with your observation. 2.7Mohm is what I too find. R13, R40, and R41 are all of same value. if one is faulty, the OP could test one of the other two and try to replace. if un-soldering at least one side is not possible, i would cut the lead at half way on one side , measure and the solder back carefully.use that measured value to manage a replacement

However, as MrAl points out, 2.7M makes no sense. But since this question seems to have been answered a few posts back, we're just talking about paint, cameras and eyes now. It's like one of those conversations you have at the end of a party...

When everyone's so drunk they make perfect sense to each other...

If I would get a tattoo on my "resistor" what color-band combination should it be? I can take pictures afterwards so you can get the whole 3D experience.

Well maybe you could convert its "maximal inches" to a colour code?

Hang on! Do they make silver tattoo ink??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…