Auto leveling project -- 12V HID car headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxglobal

Hi everyone, its my first time visiting this forum. Interesting stuff, especially the robotics.

To get started i want to talk about my little project.

Im retofitting a set of HID projectors from a nissan maxima into dodge intrepid headlights.

I will shortly recieve a set of levelling motors which come stock on most HID equipped cars to aim the lights according to road elevation and angle.

What i want to make is a IC system where the motors can move the headlights up and down (aiming) if the use in the car decides to.

I want to use a type of dimming switch to regulate the movement of the motors.

Can someone help me out. I need help with the circuit board design. The motors are a strong servo/stepping motor.

They have 4 leads coming out of them. All the same colour. The motor shaft gets longer as the motor turns. I dont think there is a mechanism in there. They have round heads at the end of the shaft and as they rotate they come out to move the headlight up or down. The reverse occurs in the opposite direction. The reflector attaches to the ball.

What im having trouble with is having a set memory for the motors. As i understand it, step motors have no zero point.

The headlight motors need to be able to do the following.
1. move up and down (in / out)
2. Keep a setting relative to the switch
3. be able to reset to 1 factory value once a set button is presed (ie ignore dimmer switch)

**broken link removed**

I will get you more details on the motors once they arrive. I know these are used in cars, so they must be step motors. I dont know how to wire them up. I can get the parts if someone can help with a circuit board and parts list.

I know its complex, and hard to understand in the terms i described it, but i can clear up any concerns (or try to).

I would also like to at least set these motors to the lowest setting when they are installed since i wont be able to add them later once i seal the headlights. I dont want them offset.

If the manual adjustment works for now, i will attempt an auto level based on elevation later.

Thank you in advance.

Ciprian[/img]

I forgot to mention, the power supply will be 12V or otherwise regulated from 12V through the swtiches added later.

Thank you

does anyone at least have a wiring diagram for a basic stepper motor??

I just need 1 with a variable switch. Ive seen some kits around the net, but i would like to build it myslef.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…