automated lighting : Which DC controlled components to use for 240V AC lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouncingmolar

Hi,

I've been trying to research for a home project to get automated lighting.

I was looking into AC Solid state relays. However, apparently a small current still exists when the relay is in its off state, which worries me.

Is there a better way to do this? are triacs or some other type of semiconductor better suited to the job?

My plan was to control the SSR with a DC current from a dc controlling device (eg arduino)

I realise there are ready made safe ways to do this such as X10 and others.

All solid-state relays, triacs, SCRs, and X10 have a small leakage current when off, which is not normally a problem.

Why are you worried about that? The only time it would be of concern is when you are working on the circuit. Even then the leakage level is likely less than a mA and not dangerous. But to be sure just open the breaker.

You may want to give this a read. It does cover leakage current fairly well. Whart is the concern as to leakage current? Many SSRs are a triac as you will see in the linked to PDF file. If you have concerns about your uC then focus on an opto couples SSR.

Ron

If you want/need complete isolation, use a relay.

Be careful switching incandescent lamp loads, their cold resistance is much more than their hot resistance is. Whatever TRIAC or relay you use will need to handle that extra current.

Last edited:
Be careful switching incandescent lamp loads, their cold resistance is much more than their hot resistance is. Whatever TRIAC or relay you use will need to handle that extra current.
Of course you mean the cold resistance is much less than the hot resistance, giving a high inrush current when turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…