Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back in the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

You may remember a while ago I was having trouble with the p16pro40 programmer and winpicprog. well I finally figured out what i was doing wrong- well it wasn't really me, my parallel cable was shot and only some of the pins on it were working :lol:

I have absolutely no idea where to begin! So I believe a couple questions are in order:
1. Is there anything I should know about programming before I start using Nigel's tutorials? Or will I figure out commands as I go along?

2. Nigel, I tried your first tutorial and got as far as typing in the code in the "source code" tab on winpicprog, then I couldn't figure out how to load the program to the PIC; how do I do that? :lol:

3. In Jay. Slovak's sticky, he said that a newbie should learn assembly language before anything else. Are Nigel's tutorials in assembly language?

Please forgive my complete ignorance. I don't know squat about this stuff :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
1. Is there anything I should know about programming before I start using Nigel's tutorials? Or will I figure out commands as I go along?
Yes.. you should read(understand) the corresponding manual of the micro and the interfaces.
better u should know the assembly instructions before u start.

3. In Jay. Slovak's sticky, he said that a newbie should learn assembly language before anything else. Are Nigel's tutorials in assembly language?
Yes. :)

I thought those tutorials were way over my head to just begin with :lol:
I'll search google if you don't know of any, but are there any good places on the net to learn assembly language? I'd search right now, but I gotta go to bed :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
I thought those tutorials were way over my head to just begin with :lol:
I'll search google if you don't know of any, but are there any good places on the net to learn assembly language? I'd search right now, but I gotta go to bed :lol:

try writing a "hello world" program in electronics aka blinking an LED .. that will give u initial thrust . :D

zachtheterrible said:
You may remember a while ago I was having trouble with the p16pro40 programmer and winpicprog. well I finally figured out what i was doing wrong- well it wasn't really me, my parallel cable was shot and only some of the pins on it were working :lol:

I have absolutely no idea where to begin! So I believe a couple questions are in order:

Print the datasheet out and have it to hand!.

2. Nigel, I tried your first tutorial and got as far as typing in the code in the "source code" tab on winpicprog, then I couldn't figure out how to load the program to the PIC; how do I do that? :lol:

You require MPASM or MPLAB to assemble the program, the 'Source' window in WinPicProg is only for displaying a disassembled HEX file.

Yes they are.

Please forgive my complete ignorance. I don't know squat about this stuff :lol:

As well as Nigel's tutorial, I would also recommend **broken link removed**.

Good Luck.

Mike.

Thanks for that book but the page won't load :lol:

Good idea Nigel, I'll print that out probably at a printshop or somethin, better than bankrupting the ink on my printer :lol:

Things are becoming much more clear

zachtheterrible said:
Thanks for that book but the page won't load :lol:

Good idea Nigel, I'll print that out probably at a printshop or somethin, better than bankrupting the ink on my printer :lol:

Just save it to your hard drive, and view it from there!.

Nigel Goodwin said:

Save the whole on-line book to harddisk???

On that website, the book is priced at only $10 on its cover, probably cheaper than asking your printer to print it out.

eblc1388 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Save the whole on-line book to harddisk???

Why not?, it doesn't take much space - and hard drive space is incredibly cheap these days - or if you like, write it to a CD, you will have plenty of space left to write many more books to it as well.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Why not?, it doesn't take much space - and hard drive space is incredibly cheap these days - or if you like, write it to a CD, you will have plenty of space left to write many more books to it as well.

:D

The contents published in the book "PIC microcontrollers" is subject to copyright and it must not be reproduced in any form without an explicit written permission released from the editorial of mikroElektronika.

Nigel, you contradict yourself! you said to print it out, and then later you said to save it.
I already have the datassheet on my computer.

Aw cool, that book looks like it has everything I'll need to get started, thanks! :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
Nigel, you contradict yourself! you said to print it out, and then later you said to save it.
I already have the datassheet on my computer.

No, I said 'print the datasheet' and 'save the book'.

Aw cool, that book looks like it has everything I'll need to get started, thanks! :lol:

Yes, it's a very useful starting point - but ignore the chip it uses, and use a more modern one instead!.

Have a nice chat with the Microchip dealership in your area.

An user reported in this forum a while ago that he phoned Microchip and in return they sent him a printed "PICmicro Mid-Range MCU Family Reference Manual" which cover the "16Fxxxx" family PICs for free.

pic datasheet hardcopy

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back