Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bipolar to Unipolar VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilocomotiv

Hello

I have a PLC module which can unly accept unipolar VDC(0-5VDC, 0-10VDC). Few of my sensors are +/- 10 VDC output and I need to feed this to the PLC module. How do I convert a bipolar signal to unipolar? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Hi I looked at your circuit in the posting. Can I use a low power Quad Op-Amp for this purpose? Like LM 124 or something? So that I can have 2 channels from one chip. Also Supply voltage must be 8V? or Can I have +/-15? I was thinking of changing it to +/-10 input to 0-10 o/p. 5V clamping diode is necessary? Or can I live without it as long as my i/p will not exceed. Now when you mentioned 2.5Vref in the reference ckt, are you thinking of another resistor for the divider? Please let me know.

Thanks

lilocomotiv said:
Hi I looked at your circuit in the posting. Can I use a low power Quad Op-Amp for this purpose? Like LM 124 or something? So that I can have 2 channels from one chip. Also Supply voltage must be 8V? or Can I have +/-15? I was thinking of changing it to +/-10 input to 0-10 o/p. 5V clamping diode is necessary? Or can I live without it as long as my i/p will not exceed. Now when you mentioned 2.5Vref in the reference ckt, are you thinking of another resistor for the divider? Please let me know.

Thanks

hi,
You could use a quad OPA with a +/-10V supply, you must clamp the Vout so that it dosn't exceed +5V to the MCU adc input.
Also you will have to clamp the same voltage so that it cannot go negative.

Thats why I am showing two OPA's, the 2nd OPA has only a single +8V [or higher with a clamp] supply.
A very low forward drop diode should be able to clamp the output so that it cannot go negative.

The +2.Vref supply resistor is chosen to suit say about 5mA thru the reference from an available +Vsupply.

What did you think about other members idea's regarding just using potential dividers?

The Daycounter circuit uses a modern rail-to-rail opamp, not an old LM324 or LM358. The LM324 and LM358 outputs go as high as 1.2V less than their positive supply voltage. Their inputs don't work if they are higher than 1.5V less than their positive supply voltage.

If you don't connect the commons together then nothing will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back